[News] Frustrations with Windows Show Ease of GNU/Linux Installation

  • Subject: [News] Frustrations with Windows Show Ease of GNU/Linux Installation
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:41:15 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
My experience with Mandriva (and 64 bit)

,----[ Quote ]
| So after reinstalling windows, hunting down drivers, and setting everything
| up properly, I realized that all I really needed in windows was steam. Since
| I had a fresh reinstall, that would mean I had to download and install
| everything. I’ve always wanted to try Linux, but it was always impractical,
| since I had some stuff installed that I needed, and it would take ages to get
| everything working smoothly on Linux. But now, with a fresh reinstall, why
| not install Linux as well? I downloaded it as I was working with the sound
| card drivers, and as soon as everything was working properly, I burned it
| onto a DVD and started it up.

Installing a modern Linux distribution

,----[ Quote ]
| A modern Linux install should take no more than forty-five minutes for the
| initial install and maybe an hours worth of tweaking to get the missing bits
| running the way the user wants this may take longer with more complected
| setups like using ATI or NVIDIA cards with Compiz.

Ubuntu 8.04 beta: an agile upgrade

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest build of everyone's favorite open source desktop OS features
| better performance, Active Directory integration, and seamless installation
| from Windows
| [...]
| If this first taste is any indication, however, Ubuntu 8.04 is shaping up to
| be a worthy upgrade for existing users and a good jumping-on point for new
| ones. Wubi, in particular, makes it ideal for anyone who has hesitated to
| give Linux a try before now. Look for the final version to be available in
| April.

Vista Ultimate vs. Ubuntu 7.04 - Which Install Is Easier?

,----[ Quote ]
| So less than 3 hours into this experiment, I have both Vista and Ubuntu
| installed and patched. Both systems are stable, more or less, but both
| systems have quirks. Neither system worked perfectly, but much to my surprise
| the Ubuntu system worked better, (once I got the keyboard working). More
| hardware worked without needing to download additional drivers. More over,
| there is moreover, the desktop that I do have is more functional -
| applications like GIMP, Open Office, and a slew of multi-media apps are far
| more useful than Wordpad, Paint and the slew of crap that Vista comes with.

Linux is not only better than windows, it is also easier to install and

,----[ Quote ]
| This post inspired me to write this comparison, side by side, specially
| where it says, that windows users says that "Linux is hard to install", so I
| wanted to test it.

Linux is Easier to Install than Windows!

,----[ Quote ]
| A brief, but honest description of why Linux is better than Windows!

[Installing Linux from Windows] Wubi Review

,----[ Quote ]
| In conclusion, this tool is certainly one of the easiest ways of letting
| people try Ubuntu without removing Windows or having to partition their hard
| drive for a dual-boot.  I have enjoyed this tool, and although it is still in
| beta, it works very well and is very stable.  So, if you are running a
| computer with Windows and want to give Ubuntu a try, then this is the
| solution for you.

Installing Ubuntu, a world without Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| The "Welcome" page will start. I chose English and then I clicked the forward
| button. On the Time Zone page, you click a city on the map. I clicked St
| John's, the city listed for the Newfoundland Time Zone. Click forward again.
| I picked US English keyboard and clicked forward for the third time.
| Now, the partition wizard starts up. Choose one of the guided installs. You
| will usually have more than one choice here and they depend on your
| particular machine. You may be able to resize your existing partition to only
| use the available space on it, or you can choose to use the full hard drive
| for Ubuntu.

Ubuntu 1, Windows 0

,----[ Quote ]
| I installed Ubuntu on the Toshiba laptop. Ubuntu installed in 15 minutes - 49
| for Windows XP and 125 for Windows Vista. Ubuntu's desktop came right up. I
| opened the pre-installed Firefox browser and found I could browse the Web
| immediately. Ubuntu installed a network adaptor for the Toshiba laptop.
| I shake my head at this Windows foolishness!

The day of the Linux desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| The idea here is that this is something almost anyone can do, almost anywhere
| in the world, without any central organization or, indeed, any organization
| at all. This is not Linux World or Linux Continent or Linux Country or Linux
| State or even Linux City or Linux Village. And it's not a year, a month, or
| even a week. It's just one day.

Installing A New Printer. Windows vs. Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows - 40 Minutes
| [...]
| Linux - 2 Minutes
| While I was waiting for the first round of software to install on Windows, I
| turned to my laptop running Ubuntu to see if I could get it setup to print as
| well. I launched the printing configuration tool. Clicked on "New Printer".
| Typed in the IP address I had assigned to the printer and selected the model
| number.

How To Install Gutsy Gibbon - A 21 Step Guide For Technical Support

,----[ Quote ]