[News] Liberation Fonts Put to Rest 'Fonts Smear' Against Linux

  • Subject: [News] Liberation Fonts Put to Rest 'Fonts Smear' Against Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 04:31:26 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Ubuntu and Fonts

,----[ Quote ]
| In this short tutorial i discuss some handy fonts related tips that could
| improve user's desktop experience . The tips include installing Microsoft
| True type fonts enabling one to render documents and web pages created in
| Microsoft Windows properly in Ubuntu Linux, Installing a set of cool looking
| fonts released by RedHat - Liberation fonts package , making fonts look good
| on your LCD Display by turning on subpixel smoothing , installing some cool
| and free fonts on your Ubuntu Desktop and finally how to install any font if
| you have it's ttf file .
`----

http://linuxondesktop.blogspot.com/2008/03/ubuntu-and-fonts.html

The screenshots are worth seeing.

Ubuntu Hardy - Liberation Fonts now Fully Hinted?

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent update came through for liberation fonts. It wasn't clear, but it
| looks as if there is now full hinting available. Looks very nice! Might have
| to add this to my Win XP work laptop as well.
`----

http://grumpymole.blogspot.com/2008/03/ubuntu-hardy-liberation-fonts-now-fully.html

Related:

Liberation Fonts

,----[ Quote ]
| The first release is a set of fully usable fonts, but they will
| lack the fully hinting capability (hinting adjusts font pixelization
| so that the fonts render with high quality at large and small sizes)
| provided by TrueType/FreeType technology. That release is now ready.
| The second release will provide full hinting of the fonts, and that
| release will be available by the end of the calendar year.
`----

http://www.press.redhat.com/2007/05/09/liberation-fonts/

Checking out the new Open Font Library

,----[ Quote ]
| Up until the last few years, typefaces were a neglected aspect in
| FOSS. However, the increased popularity of the GNU/Linux desktop and
| the emergence of software for designers is changing that. "The whole
| vectorization of the desktop with Inkscape is really doing a
| beautification of the desktop," Phillips says. In such an atmosphere,
| the OFL looks like an idea whose time has come.
`----

http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/03/22/169230&tid=13

Visual comparison of major OS's font rendering

,----[ Quote ]
| ...Linux's myth of bad font rendering is finally over.
`----

http://mywheel.net/blog/index.php/2007/01/08/visual-comparison-of-major-oss-font-rendering/

Microsoft's forgotten [fonts] monopoly

http://news.com.com/Microsofts+forgotten+monopoly/2010-1032_3-6085417.html

3 Examples of Bad Microsoft Word Typography

,----[ Quote ]
| From the makers of Arial, here are three examples of bad typography in
| Microsoft Word. Bad typesetting in Word finds its way into résumés, business
| plans, research papers, government documents, even published books. These
| small inconsistencies and imperfections may be un-noticible in small doses,
| but paragraph-after-paragraph they stack up—resulting in ugly,
| visually-incohesive documents. Word isn’t for professional typography work,
| but that’s no excuse for these typography sins.
`----

http://robgoodlatte.com/2007/07/24/3-examples-of-bad-microsoft-word-typography/

Open source fonts

,----[ Quote ]
| If you’ve ever gone looking for legitimately free fonts, you’ve probably
| found that there are a lot of really bad ones. But there’s also a lot of
| discussion out there about “open source fonts.”
|
| Some who post about open source fonts are really just talking about
| free-as-in-beer typefaces. Some, however, have embraced the open source
| philosophy as applied to typography.
`----

http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/12/13/open-source-fonts/

Liberation Fonts Installation Script