Re: [News] OpenOffice and Web-based Suites Spell Trouble for Already-behind Microsoft

____/ 7 on Sunday 23 March 2008 20:04 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> [Ouch. Trouble in Cash Cow meadow.]
>>
>> OpenOffice 3.0 Promises to Bash Office
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Others maintain that the whole model of deskbound productivity
>> | applications is obsolete,
>

> Those who say such things are as nutty as peanuts and disconnected from
> reality. They are spliffing and trying to go
> back to the days of terminal servers. I can't
> see anyone wanting to go back when they have 500Gb disks
> fitted on their PCs for $100 and can go with Open Office
> on their PCs and write their private letters the way
> letters are supposed to be written.

I typically just use text editors for everything (Kate is very powerful). If I
need something with rich formatting, such as a presentation or a latter, then
it's LaTeX. It has front ends and it's probably easier than WYSIWYG. It
depends on how you are trained as a child.

I haven't much affinity for office suites. They assume that bigger is better.
SUV mindset.

>> foreseeing a future in which businesses and
>> | individuals instead use lightweight online applications such as Google's
>> | Docs . It is likely, however, that all models will flourish in their own
>> | way-- desktop behemoths such as Office, alternatives such as OpenOffice,
>> | and online apps -- being embraced by users for different purposes.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/143711
> openoffice_30_promises_to_bash_office.html

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Yes, I know, but does it run Linux?"