[News] Google Provides Funding to Free GNU/Linux Games

Games : Games at Google Summer of Code 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| Google has published a list of mentoring organizations and projects for
| Google Summer of Code 2008. Quite a few gaming and gaming-related projects
| have made it again this year:
|
|     * Battle for Wesnoth - ideas
|     * BZFlag - ideas
|     * Crystal Space - ideas
|     * OGRE - ideas
|     * ScummVM - ideas
|     * Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL) - ideas
|     * Thousand Parsec - ideas
|     * Tux4Kids - ideas
|     * WorldForge - ideas
`----

http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2403

Related:

Linux Got Game: Alien Arena 2007 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| I find the game very addictive, although I’m a "below average" gamer. I
| always get smoked in single player game even in easy mode. Maybe they gave
| those bots too much AI (hehe). Anyway, I also tried multiplaying over the
| network and I got eaten alive.
`----

http://junauza.blogspot.com/2008/02/linux-got-game-alien-arena-2007-review.html

Sauce The Game

,----[ Quote ]
| The second episode of Sauce The Game has been released. This episode takes a
| look at Open Arena a free and Open Source alternative to the hugely popular
| Quake 3. It is based off the Quake 3 engine just like Tremulous.
`----

http://www.saucethegame.com/2008/02/04/episode-2-open-arena/

Top Ubuntu Linux Games

,----[ Quote ]
| If you’ve switched to Ubuntu (as I have) or any other Linux distribution, you
| may consider the following free (and in most cases open-source) games, as
| they’ve been favorites of mine for some time now.
`----

http://linuxgames07.blogspot.com/2007/11/top-ubuntu-linux-games.html

Does WINE + Linux support more Windows apps than Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
| WINE supports most of the applications which are made for Windows
| 2.0 up to Windows XP. WINE has the ability to run different versions
| of IE, run most of Adobe's products, run World of Warcraft, Half Life
| 2, Microsoft Office 2003, XP, 2000 and 97, Visio, Quicken,
|
|     * Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
|     * Need for Speed Carbon
|
| [...]
|
| What about drivers, hardware support, and upgrades?
|
| Want to upgrade you XP to Vista? no chance. might as well do a fresh
| install and shell out $300.
`----

http://jagtalon.wordpress.com/2007/04/30/does-wine-linux-support-more-apps-than-vista/

StreamMyGame launches Linux player ; Play PC games on your PS3

,----[ Quote ]
| StreamMyGame.com announced today the release of its free Linux Player, an
| application that enables you to play any PC game via a PlayStation 3 running
| Linux.
`----

http://www.kdcstaffs.com/it/main_view.php?nNum=4721&page=&part=Real-Time

The State of the Linux Gaming Industry

,----[ Quote ]
| When I read reports on the Linux gaming industry, I can't help but wonder
| where the Linux gamers are at? Can we find them on the Nintendo Wii or
| perhaps the Playstation 3 (PS3)? After all, I have heard that PS3 actually
| works rather well with Yellow Dog Linux.
`----

http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=8047

UT3 Linux: It Will Ship When It's Ready

,----[ Quote ]
| While Unreal Tournament 3 will ship on November 19 for Windows gamers, and we
| previously confirmed that the Linux binary will not ship on the DVD,
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjE1Mw

Free Games for Linux

.----[ Quote ]