[News] Proprietary Software May Have Unethical Users, Lindependence 2008 to the Rescue

  • Subject: [News] Proprietary Software May Have Unethical Users, Lindependence 2008 to the Rescue
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 04:04:22 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
[subject line just a spin on "proprietary software is unethical."]

IT and Ethics.

,----[ Quote ]
| Manager: “Please install photoshop on Chuck’s computer.”
| You: “We don’t have any more licenses for photoshop.”
| Manager: “It’s important that he has it, install it anyway. We’ll get a PO
| started to get a new license asap.”
|
| [...]
|
| Other arguments greatly depend on the task requested. Perhaps mention that
| you could be included in the spamhaus blacklist. Then almost no email server
| will give you the time of day, even for corporate emails. Or bring up a
| horror story of Microsoft auditing your small business because they got
| an “anonymous” tip that they were breaking license agreements.
`----

http://subprocess.net/2008/03/18/it-and-ethics/

Who needs that trouble?

Lindependence 2008 -- An invitation

,----[ Quote ]
| Lindependence 2008 introduces Linux to the town of Felton, California --
| about 6,000 people who live at the foot of the San Lorenzo Valley in Santa
| Cruz County, California. The plan behind Lindependence 2008 involves
| assisting those wishing to declare their digital independence for an entire
| week -- starting on Independence Day 2008 -- by using their choice of distro
| and FOSS programs.
`----

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-news-59/lindependence-2008-an-invitation-629376/#post3094661

Network effect in action. Many people have already been migrated in this way.
They actually control their PCs now.

Microsoft still has this huge dilemma because it doesn't make much money
outside wealthy countries and if it cracks down on copyright infringement, it
loses business. Like Adobe (with PhotoShop), it wants Windows and Office to be
de facto 'standards'.

Related:

Microsoft Happy with the Evolution of Windows Vista Piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| But the truth is that Microsoft is happy with the way Windows Vista
| piracy is evolving. Is there a catch to this? No. The fact of the
| matter is that Windows Vista has delivered a heavy blow to
| software counterfeiters. The reason for this is the new Windows
| Genuine Advantage security mechanism integrated into the
| operating system.
|
| You may not notice this on the surface. On the surface, the
| Internet is crawling with Windows Vista cracks, hacks and
| workarounds. On the surface, every Windows Vista edition has
| been cracked and is available for download via peer-to-peer
| networks. But this is not the true extent of Windows Vista piracy.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Happy-with-the-Evolution-of-Windows-Vista-Piracy-50577.shtml

Hypocrisy off the port bow!

,----[ Quote ]
| Admiral Holleyman of the Bull Shit Association dares claim that our craft
| makes his skainsmates lose (that's the opposite o' win, for all ye
| spelling-retarded coppocias) $11 billion US dollars every year. Hoy-day! A
| flight of fancy I've ne'er seen before such bardleture came before me! Such
| presumptuous posy overflows my yellow bile. As if every man of the
| brotherhood would actually buy the programs he pirates! Bah! Next, I wager
| he'll be so bloody daft to presume that blokes should actually read a license
| agreement, the likes o' which have never been, and may yet never be enforced
| in full.
`----

http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/364

Microsoft Exec Admits That Company Benefits From Piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| Jeff Raikes, head of the company's business group, said at a
| recent investor conference that while the company is against
| piracy, if you are going to pirate software, it hopes you pirate
| Microsoft software. He cited the above reasoning, noting that
| users of pirated Microsoft software are likely to purchase from
| the company later on.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20070312/165448.shtml

"Piracy reduction can be a source of Windows revenue growth"

,----[ Quote ]
| It's perfectly reasonable to expect people to save up for two months to
| buy Vista, Steve. Really. You'd be willing to spend $150,000 of your
| money on Vista Basic, wouldn't you? I'm sure all you need to do is
| tighten those screws, and the giant Chinese turnip will start
| squirting sweet, sweet blood to sustain you.
`----

http://wilshipley.com/blog/2007/02/piracy-reduction-can-be-source-of.html

Here is why the anti-piracy technology being in-build in Windows Vista could
be good for GNU/Linux

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2006/10/here-is-why-anti-piracy-technology.html