[News] SJVN: "Microsoft is in Trouble", GNU/Linux is Growing

  • Subject: [News] SJVN: "Microsoft is in Trouble", GNU/Linux is Growing
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 03:41:28 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Windows is caught between Mac and Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| For the first time in ages, the sale of new PCs with Windows as a percentage
| of the PC market is declining sharply. The new winner is the Mac, but, while
| no one does a good job of tracking the still-new, pre-installed Linux desktop
| market, it's also clear that Linux is finally making impressive inroads into
| Windows' once unchallenged market share.
|
| [...]
|
| How Microsoft deals, or fails to deal, with this new challenge will determine
| if Windows continues to be the dominant desktop operating system. Distracted
| by its Yahoo buyout plans, its courtroom failures and its leadership changes,
| Microsoft is in trouble, and that means the other desktop operating systems
| have their best chance ever to knock Windows off the top of the desktop hill.

Glyn Moody:

Has Dell Delivered on GNU/Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| So one year on from my original exhortation to support Dell, I will make
| another plea: not only should readers of Linux Journal try to buy systems
| from Dell and other companies that are offering ready-configured GNU/Linux
| systems, but we should encourage others to do the same, however non-technical
| they may be.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/has-dell-delivered-gnulinux

Recent:

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

| you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Can Ballmer pilot Microsoft through a changed tech course?

,----[ Quote ]
| Can Ballmer steer Microsoft out of the roadblocks?
|
| The highly competitive Ballmer, you might say, is the man who cried "nice."
| And like the boy who cried wolf, no one believed him. The software giant's
| attempt to make nice with much of the developer community by opening up its
| APIs for key products was greeted with a jaundiced eye by regulators at the
| powerful European Commission.
|
| However sincere Microsoft's stated change of heart may be, it is becoming
| clearer and clearer that Microsoft -- which knows it has to change -- is
| still struggling to find a fresher path.
|
| What's a poor CEO to do?
|
| Now that Bill Gates has effectively left the building, Ballmer is free to
| transform Microsoft, a job made all the tougher by the enormous reservoir of
| mistrust the company has engendered over the years.
|
| Case in point: the open APIs. Microsoft will give its competitors free access
| to the application programming interfaces and protocols it uses to ensure
| interoperability between its own products, a very significant change in
| business practices.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/tech-bottom-line/archives/2008/02/microsoft_open.html

EU May Fine Microsoft Over Antitrust Case, People Say

,----[ Quote ]
| The fine may be announced as soon as Feb. 27, said the people, who declined
| to be identified because the decision isn't public. Microsoft said in a Jan.
| 24 U.S. regulatory filing that the penalty may be as much as 1.5 billion
| euros ($2.2 billion).
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=MSFT:US&sid=aG8SwG8llTmM

Microsoft's Last Big Beat: Internet Domination or Death

,----[ Quote ]
| What can $44.6B USD mean? Well, for Microsoft (MSFT) it may mean the cost of
| survival.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/63876-microsoft-s-last-big-beat-internet-domination-or-death?source=yahoo

Microsoft says to borrow money for Yahoo deal

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews/idUSN0455692920080205