[News] Linux is Running on the Apple iPhone (Like It Was Going to)

  • Subject: [News] Linux is Running on the Apple iPhone (Like It Was Going to)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 01:19:46 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Android, Schmandroid: Linux on the iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| Saurik selected the Debian Advanced Packaging Tool (APT) "which is used on
| numerous Linux installations and the one I consider to be the most stable,"
| ported that to the iPhone and "now I have it to the point where anybody can
| run an APT repository in the same way you would on a machine running Debian
| and install what you want," he said.
|
| Then, he wrote Cydia, a graphical front end that "lets you install and
| uninstall programs the same way as the app.tapp installer does," he said.
| Because the process of porting the tools to the iPhone was similar to
| building a Linux distribution -- "You have to coordinate the tools together,
| and decide what is and what's not a package," the workload is much too heavy
| for only one person, so Saurik launched a project called "Telesphoreo," an
| open source Unix distribution "to be launched on the modern smartphone, and
| the first is the iPhone," he said.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/mobile-tech/62209.html

The iPhone was going to run Linux, but Steve Jobs apparently objected
(idealogical reasons only, nothing actually wrong with Linux). Highlights in
the text below.

Related:

A Linux-powered iPhone

,----[ Quote ]