[News] Wine 1.0: RC Reached

[Wine 1.0 Releases Candidate Released]

,----[ Quote ]
| This is release 1.0-rc1 of Wine, a free implementation of Windows on Unix.
| This is the first release candidate for Wine 1.0. Please give it a
| good testing to help us make 1.0 as good as possible. In particular
| please help us look for apps that used to work, but don't now. See
| http://wiki.winehq.org/PlatinumRegressionHunt for details.

A friend of mine  has just told me (verbally) that Microsoft is scanning the
Registry files to ensure there's no Wine there. Or... They check for the
configuration key for Wine and prevent it from updating. If you have it
installed on your computer, they block the configuration key. Bastards. He's
in the process of migrating... now installing Drupal and getting quite

May 2, 2008: Code freeze in effect, on towards wine 1.0!

,----[ Quote ]
| Wine is finally in code freeze in preparation for releasing wine 1.0, and we
| need your help!
| If you are a user, now would be the time to help us find regressions and file
| them at bugzilla so we know what we have to fix.

The making of Wine (how to make Windows apps merrier with Linux)

,----[ Quote ]
| Flash forward to today. It's been the better part of a decade and Microsoft
| has not been toppled by anyone's reckoning. However it did release Vista -
| perhaps the most hated Windows operating system of all time (though it's hard
| to beat Windows ME on that count). Enterprises badly want alternatives to
| Windows. Desktop Linux has come a long way since 1999, too. and (who knew?)
| the Mac has become the ultra chic, must-have PC. The enterprise has its
| alternatives - if it can only get those mission critical Windows apps to work
| flawlessly. Wine, in its commercial form, has been doing so for years.
| So, in 2008, the 1.0 version will hit the streets and the timing could not be
| more perfect. White admits that not every Windows application will work
| flawlessly on Wine, but many a critical one for the enterprise has been
| specifically optimized.

Wine is Getting Good

,----[ Quote ]