[News] [Rival] Microsoft Beats a Dictionary in Court, But Gets Sued Over Name

Unicaresoft loses MSNLock case against Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The Dutch version of Oxford English Dictionary, Van Dale, also mentions MSN
| as a generic term meaning to contact someone via an instant messenger.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/07/dutch_lock_firm_loses_case_against_microsoft/

This won't add to Microsoft's popularity in a country that's already moving to
Free software and ODF. Serves it right:

Microsoft Satellite Map Project Sued Over Name

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's TerraServer-USA satellite imagery project has been slapped with a
| trademark lawsuit from a small North Carolina company with a confusingly
| similar name.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/145613/microsoft_satellite_map_project_sued_over_name.html

Related:

Grisoft subpoenas Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The website, alleges Grisoft, infringes its copyrights and trademarks.
|
| The lawyers said: "The website's proponent, with MSN's facilitation, is
| taking a 'free ride' on our clients rights" and the proponent of the website
| is distributing AVG software for a fee.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/19/grisoft-subpoenas-microsoft

School sues Microsoft over copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| But it's complicated because the wire reports Microsoft Philippines bought
| licences to print the manual back in 2004.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/17/school-sues-microsoft-copyright

Microsoft to eBay name for $1m

,----[ Quote ]
| Portuguese outfit Microsoft Lda aims to cash in on its name by eBaying the
| brand and business for a starting price of $1m, Reuters reports.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/17/microsoft_name_auction/

Portuguese firm Microsoft to auction name on eBay

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUKL1730253520071217?rpc=44

Microsoft infringing on one of Apple Patents?

,----[ Quote ]
| Keep in mind I am not a patent researcher, and I am sure Apple is not
| going to sue Microsoft for abusing one of their patents, but it does
| at least look like Microsoft is abusing this patent.
`----

http://www.noheat.com/2007/06/22/microsoft-infringing-on-one-of-apple-patents/

Handling of Microsoft's copyleft violation

,----[ Quote ]
| A member of the Microsoft packaged software team lifting one of my
| images is definitely a case where the infringing party should have
| known better, as the company routinely takes action to protect its
| own IP.
`----

http://www.niallkennedy.com/blog/archives/2006/12/microsoft-copyright-photograph.html

Appeals Court Rules that Deceptive Conduct in Standard Setting can Violate
Antitrust Laws

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=2007090607324049