[News] Nobel Prize Winner for Free (Libre+Gratis) Music, RIAA Monster Sued

Archbishop Desmond Tutu a fan of free music

,----[ Quote ]
| Count Archbishop Desmond Tutu, the Nobel Prize winner and internationally
| known humanitarian, as a member of the free-music movement.
|
| Tutu has become involved with SOS Records, a label that plans to let users
| decide which acts it signs. Tutu was in New York on Tuesday to help launch
| the label's site, which will offer open MP3s free of charge.
|
| [...]
|
| Tutu also said that SOS Records is a way for up-and-coming artists to be
| discovered and "get their fair reward," adding that "the democratization of
| music is very close to my heart."
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9937566-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Or: you could just do your business with the RIAA...

Counterclaims for extortion, conspiracy, trespass, consumer fraud & abuse,
abuse of process upheld in Atlantic v. Boyer

,----[ Quote ]
| The counterclaims are for civil conspiracy, extortion, illegal
| investigations, computer fraud, trespass, deception, and abuse of process.
`----

http://recordingindustryvspeople.blogspot.com/2008/05/counterclaims-for-extortion-conspiracy.html

Notice the difference.

Tutu's "the democratization of music is very close to my heart."

        vs.

Glickman's "we need to punish the criminals... the pirates." (he uses both
words)

Yesterday:

Nine Inch Nails Gives Away Another Album Online: No Payments Accepted

,----[ Quote ]
| Nine Inch Nails is back at it again by throwing more free music towards the
| masses with its latest album entitled "the slip." This time around the free
| download is working a bit different- the band isn't even allowing for
| donations.
|
| The album can be found over at NIN's Web site. If you remember it was only
| two months ago when NIN released an instrumental album online with a unique
| pay structure, with a most common $5 fee for the standard 36-track album, but
| now NIN frontman, Trent Reznor, just wants his music to be heard as there's
| no options for payments or donations.
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/006891.html

Related:

Dancing tot's mom faces setback in YouTube-Prince case

,----[ Quote ]
| EFF had asked for a ruling that the 30-second snippet did not violate
| copyright law; Fogel concluded it was unnecessary because "Universal has
| indicated it had and presently has no intention of ever asserting an
| infringement action directly against Lenz based on the 'Let's Go Crazy'
| video."
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9929922-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Does She Look Like a Music Pirate?

,----[ Quote ]
| Andersen is going after the recording industry under conspiracy laws. She
| argues the Recording Industry Association of America, the industry's trade
| group, and its affiliates worked together on a broad campaign to intimidate
| people into making financial payoffs. The defendants "secretly met and
| conspired" to develop a "litigation enterprise" with the ultimate goal of
| preserving the major record companies' control over the music business.
| Andersen is requesting class action status for her case, seeking at least $5
| million in compensation for the class
|
| [...]
|
| From her apartment outside Portland, Andersen remains involved in the broader
| case. She collects files on her suit and tracks other disputes with the RIAA
| online. One recent winter day, she sipped a Diet Pepsi and watched Tazz jump
| from the couch and settle on the floor. "You have to find some positive in
| stuff, too," she says. "For whatever reason, I have been given a unique
| opportunity to fight this. I feel a responsibility in a way and want to help
| others. That pushes me along."
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/print/magazine/content/08_18/b4082042959954.htm

Music boss: we were wrong to go to war with consumers

,----[ Quote ]
| The boss of Warner Music has made a rare public confession that the music
| industry has to take some of the blame for the rise of p2p file sharing.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/macuser/news/138990/music-boss-we-were-wrong-to-go-to-war-with-consumers.html

Defendant: RIAA abusing courts to shore up "failing business model"

,----[ Quote ]
| After the lawsuit was filed, Njuguna said she boxed up the PC reportedly used
| for infringement and purchased a new one. She then filed a series of
| counterclaims to the RIAA's lawsuit in an attempt to have the lawsuit
| dismissed and her name cleared. One of those accuses the record labels of
| failing to negotiate in good faith.
|
| [...]
|
| Njugana also accuses the RIAA of engaging in deceptive and unfair trade
| practices, arguing that the record labels have demonstrated repeated behavior
| that has an "adverse effect on the public interest." She also cites former
| RIAA defendant Tanya Andersen's lawsuit (which seeks class-action status) as
| evidence that, unless the courts step in at some point, the RIAA will
| continue its campaign.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070913-defendant-riaa-abusing-courts-to-shore-up-failing-business-model.html

The RIAA will come to regret its court win

,----[ Quote ]
| And, he told his blog readers: "If [the industry tries to] keep up the
| strategy of 'you need us badly and therefore we make the rules' you will lose
| the artists, their managers... and the audience. Another 12 months for this
| Radiohead experiment to become the default approach. Get engaged or get
| outmoded. And do it soon."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/08/0810_riaa_comment/

Mom Sues Universal Music for DMCA Abuse

,----[ Quote ]
| The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) filed suit today against Universal
| Music Publishing Group (UMPG), asking a federal court to protect the fair use
| and free speech rights of a mother who posted a short video of her toddler
| son dancing to a Prince song on the Internet.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/general/10869/mom-sues-universal-music-dmca-abuse

RIAA, MPAA urge pro-copyright vows from presidential candidates

,----[ Quote ]
| One question, for instance, asks: "How would you promote the progress of
| science and creativity, as enumerated in the U.S. Constitution, by upholding
| and strengthening copyright law and preventing its diminishment?"
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9821141-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

BitTorrent Admin Monitored by US Government, Forced to Dump Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-admin-monitored-by-us-government-forced-to-dump-linux/