[News] Sun's JavaFX Running on GNU/Linux Phone (Emulated)

Sun unveils RIA toolset, new project for developers

,----[ Quote ]
| Green also demonstrated a JavaFX application running on the Android Emulator,
| a Linux-based software platform for mobile devices developed by Google Inc.
| and the Open Handset Alliance. However, a public relations representative
| notified Computerworld during the live webcast of the keynote noting that the
| demo was "not a product announcement. Sun has no plans around Android at this
| time."
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=724378496&rid=-50

JavaFX: A Bright Future on Open Source-Based Mobile Devices?

,----[ Quote ]
| I've written before about how Linux may arrive on 20 percent of cell phones
| by 2010--a prediction originally made by ABI Research.
`----

http://ostatic.com/161322-blog/javafx-a-bright-future-on-open-source-based-mobile-devicesss

Sun has another stab at malicious features also (targetting advertisers, i.e.
spyware):

Sun's JavaFX to hoover-up user data

,----[ Quote ]
| "We are simply a technology provider," Schwartz told JavaOne. He said the
| Java FX platform would enable developers to escape the clutches of a hostile
| operating system, browser or technology provider. No names mentioned, but
| that's Microsoft, Microsoft and, er, Microsoft. With Google maybe thrown in
| for good measure.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/05/06/javafx_privacy/

Recent:

810 Android, anyone?

,----[ Quote ]
| A website has published instructions on how to install Google's Android Java
| stack on real hardware with ARM926 and later cores, running Linux 2.6.23 and
| later kernels.

Android on OMAP

,----[ Quote ]
| This page collects information about and guides you through the installation
| of Google's Android on TI's ARM based OMAP SoCs.
|
| [...]
|
| Android is a software stack for mobile devices that includes an operating
| system, middleware and key applications. See Google's What is Android? page
| and Benno's What is Android? and What Android isn't page for more details
| about Android.
`----

http://elinux.org/Android_on_OMAP

Mini Opera appears for Google Android

,----[ Quote ]
| Opera Mini for Android makes the company's fast-performing and
| device-adapting Web experience available to any range of handset built on
| Android.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/10/mini-opera-appears-google

Related:

Google Exec: Android To Beat iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| Rich Miner even went after Apple's handheld darling.  "Once you have devices
| out there from Motorola, HTC, Samsung, and so on, there's a much larger
| potential market on Android than for the iPhone," he said.  "[T]here's a
| single manufacturer, it's targeted at a particular demographic, and it falls
| far short of the 1 billion mobile phones sold every year worldwide."
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/03/17/google-exec-android-to-beat-iphone

iPhone vs. Android : An Open Source Devs Perspective

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Andrea Gazzaniga, software development manager at mobile open
| source vendor Funambol the answer is not entirely clear. In a rambling
| overflow presentation at AjaxWorld's iPhone Sumitt, Gazzaniga attempted to
| outline the differences and similiaraties between iPhone and Android.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2008/03/iphone-vs-android-an-open-sour.html

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

| you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Is Google Android the Next Windows?

,----[ Quote ]
| On the flip side, Good Android (here’s a video demo) is a cross-platform
| software environment that multiple hardware vendors and service providers are
| expected to embrace. Although Android isn’t fully baked, Google is
| aggressively promoting the operating environment to third party developers.
| The idea is to get developers on board early, so that tons of Android
| applications are ready when Android-compatible devices finally debut.
|
| [...]
|
| Eventually, The VAR Guy suspects, Android devices will easily leapfrog
| iPhone’s market share. But that’s not a terrible thing for Apple. Although
| Apple nearly died on the desktop, Apple’s more recent innovations prove that
| you can thrive even when you hold less than 10 percent of a technology
| market.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/03/20/is-google-android-the-next-windows/

HTC tight-lipped about Google phone

,----[ Quote ]
| MOBILE PHONE MAKER High Tech Computer (HTC) is developing a handset which
| will run Android software developed by Google and a consortium of other tech
| companies.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/20/paranoid-andriod

A third of all phones "smart" in five years

| ABI Research vice president Stuart Carlaw said, "The market is currently
| dominated by Nokia (52 percent) and Symbian (65 percent). However, the
| coalescence of the framework wars in the Linux environment and the growing
| stature of Windows Mobile will enable new competitors to put pressure on this
| established axis."

Research and Markets: Symbian and Linux Enjoy the Highest Penetration in the
Japanese Smartphone Market

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080102005331&newsLang=en