Re: [News] Gentoo 2008.0 Reaches Beta 2, Screenshots Available

On 2008-05-06, The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Gregory Shearman
><ZekeGregory@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on 6 May 2008 14:26:46 GMT
><slrng20ql6.8sd.ZekeGregory@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> On 2008-05-06, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> ____/ Gregory Shearman on Tuesday 06 May 2008 10:23 : \____

>>> The main point to make is that lots of devices are built with
>>> Gentoo and many servers run it too (at least the ones whose
>>> admin are ricers :-) :-).
>>>
>>> IIRC, Gentoo's market share among Linux desktops was last shown
>>> to be something like 7%. DesktopLinux.com, IIRC.
>>
>> Yeah, well, I've never been a trendsetter and Gentoo is no longer
>> trendy. We're now a rather rare bunch on desktops.
>>

> Maybe not, but by and large it just works -- though when
> it does throw a curve ball, it's swing and a miss; my one
> box at work is now quite dysfunctional for some reason.
> Thankfully, I should be able to extract the data off it,
> and it wasn't that big a box -- maybe a 40 GB drive on
> it, 256 MB RAM.  It would be a dual-boot but Windows
> inexplicably fried itself somewhere, disallowing IT's
> attempts to update its virus file.  I put Windows out of
> my misery, on that box.

I've not had any disasters yet (touch wood!). I love the absolute ease
of package management. It's all done for me. It is all _maintained_ for
me.

> Something to do with an upgrade I was pursuing.  Not sure
> exactly what happened but it lost its dependencies, and
> aborts its startup script.  The system still boots but
> half of its "brain" is missing -- including the network.
> Fortunately, I resurrected the network, and am copying off
> the data.

There you go, managing Gentoo leaves you with the confidence to rebuild
broken setups at least to the point where you can salvage your precious
data.

> In any event, I was easily able to download the stage3,
> and used it to build a 1 GB virtual disc for experimental
> purposes with UML.  Who needs trendy?

I've never been trendy in my life. UML is definitely not trendy, I'm not
sure it's even being maintained. The last kernel release was 2.6.18-r2.
I also run a UML virtual machine. It runs an Apache webserver with the
perl module installed. It was easy getting it onto the network and dead
easy to punch a hole through my firewall for external access to this web
server.

What fun these gentoo things are... I especially love the recursive UML
Tux logo 8-)

--
Regards,

Gregory.