Re: UNIX - Let’s get together and feel all right

____/ Ramon F Herrera on Tuesday 06 May 2008 06:49 : \____

> On May 5, 11:46 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> [groups reduced]
>>
>> ____/ Ramon F Herrera on Tuesday 06 May 2008 03:22 : \____
>>

>> > This guy even placed a picture of cool Bob Marley in his article.
>>
>> >http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8524
>>
>> > -Ramon
>>
>> Microsoft was probably lost and left out where it said "let's get together."
>>
>> *NIX, unlike Microsoft, has variants, choice. It's a family. Microsoft is
>> channel-based. There's one emperor and a pyramid passing money upstream.
>>

> During the US vs. Microsoft case, some factual information emerged
> which I expected to get a lot more press coverage than it did. Intel
> testified that it was trying to organize all the vendors of Unix-like
> x86 OSs, in order to have compatible binary libraries among all
> vendors. This would  have made shrink wrapped software possible. When
> they heard of the project, Microsoft actually ordered Intel to kill
> the plan. This was revealed by Intel under sworn testimony.
>
> A similar case was Apple testifying against one of its largest
> stockholder (MS, of course). The Redmond convicts had the chutzpa of
> asking Apple to abandon the development of QuickTime servers.
>
> Microsoft to Apple: "Hey, you guys are the desktop experts, after all.
> Why don't you concentrate on the player, and let us do the server?".
>
> Any resemblance to the recent Linux attempt to collect profits
> (through "coupons") from an effort to which M$ contributed nothing is
> NOT a coincidence.

I think I posted that bit about Intel (an exact quote from it) just over a week
ago, but I've just spent a couple of minutes trying to find it (without
success). Intel too was in some sense bullied by Microsoft before it decided
that it might be more profitable to become Microsoft's b****.

Maths applied to numbers is like logic applied to statistics. Statistics are
lies.