[News] [SOT] NIN releases yet another Free album under Creative Commons

  • Subject: [News] [SOT] NIN releases yet another Free album under Creative Commons
  • From: Homer <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 23:35:11 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In the wake of The Limitless Potential [1] and Ghosts I-IV [2], NIN's
albums mirroring the FOSS paradigm, they've released yet another album,
The Slip [3], for Free:

[quote]
Nine Inch Nails, in a surprise move, posted access to a free download of
its complete new album, "The Slip," on its Web site at 12:01 a.m. this
morning (May 5).

Like the band's previous album, "Ghosts I-IV," "The Slip" is being
released under a Creative Common license, so it can be redistributed freely.
[/quote]

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003798490

[quote]
Nine Inch Nails: Ghosts I (2008)

Hello from Nine Inch Nails.

We're very proud to present a new collection of instrumental music,
Ghosts I-IV.  Almost two hours of music recorded over an intense ten
week period last fall, Ghosts I-IV sprawls Nine Inch Nails across a
variety of new terrain.

Now that we're no longer constrained by a record label, we've decided to
personally upload Ghosts I, the first of the four volumes, to various
torrent sites, because we believe BitTorrent is a revolutionary digital
distribution method, and we believe in finding ways to utilize new
technologies instead of fighting them.

We encourage you to share the music of Ghosts I with your friends, post
it on your website, play it on your podcast, use it for video projects,
etc.  It's licensed for all non-commercial use under Creative Commons.
[/quote]

[2]<http://thepiratebay.org/tor/4059158/Nine_Inch_Nails_-_Ghosts_I_(2008)>

Note to Comacast(sic): Not everything on BitTorrent is "illegal". In
fact the day may soon be coming when very little on BitTorrent is, if
computer; music; and video software becomes predominantly Free (as the
trend would seem to indicate). How will you justify your "traffic
shaping measures" then?

Related:

The Charlatans hit big with free album
'You Cross My Path' is week's second most popular UK album:

[quote]
The Charlatans' new album has been been downloaded more than 30,000
times since the band began giving it away as a free download this
earlier week.

If it were eligible, 'You Cross My Path' would occupy the Number Two
spot on the UK chart - it clocked up 60,000 downloads in its first week
- which Charlatans' frontman Tim Burgess said he is extremely pleased about.
[/quote]

Oasis, Jamiroquai to follow Radiohead

[quote]
Some of the music industry’s biggest names are considering offering
their music free online following the success of the experiment by the
band Radiohead to let fans download their new album without charge.

Now Jamiroquai and Oasis, two major names that are not contracted to a
record labels, are rumoured to be considering following Radiohead by
offering work for free, according to industry sources.

Meanwhile rumours abound that Madness, a band with a loyal fanbase
amongst 40-somethings, is considering giving away its next album for free.
[/quote]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1565638/Oasis,-Jamiroquai-to-follow-Radiohead.html

Inspired by the success of In Rainbows, it's likely other major acts
will try to sell downloads directly to fans:

[quote]
Another once-popular British act, Ash, claimed in 2007 that their most
recent album would be their last traditional release and that they would
only put out digital and physical singles from now on.

But for a world-renowned artist like Prince, who does not have a label
deal, Radiohead's model could be tantalizing. Prince has already
experimented with everything from giving his albums away at concerts to
including free copies with British newspapers and delivering fresh
tracks directly to fans through his now-shuttered NPG Music Club site.

A recent Billboard article suggested a number of other major acts who
might be considering the move, including ex-Hole leader Courtney Love,
who expressed affection for the Radiohead stunt on her MySpace page and
is currently without a label to release her long-delayed How Dirty Girls
Get Clean. Also mentioned were recent Interscope defectors ... And You
Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead — who left the major with great
animosity and are said to be considering a digital-only release in
advance of their next album — and French techno duo Daft Punk.

The other potential player is Seattle veterans Pearl Jam, who have been
selling live CDs directly to fans through their site for years and have
signed one-off deals with J Records since leaving longtime label Epic
several years ago. Even as its physical-album sales have shrunk over the
years, the group's large, devoted fanbase has continued to turn out for
arena shows. They are the musicians who could most likely make the
pay-by-choice option work in their financial and artistic favor.

When Radiohead first announced the download plan, a number of managers
and label execs told MTV News they thought the offbeat approach was a
good public-relations move for an established act like Radiohead but
would not likely work for lesser-known acts who might, literally, not be
able to give their music away. But once the second, retail-store half of
Radiohead's plan came into focus, Garland said his view changed.
[/quote]

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1579443/20080110/nine_inch_nails.jhtml

Many more artists mentioned.

The greed in the Music bizniz® is crumbling, as the middlemen get dumped
and the money goes straight to the source. The RIAA is rapidly becoming
obsolete. Let's hope the equally greedy Film industry is next, so the
MPAA can join their friends in the gutter. They can take their DRM
encumbered garbage with them while they're at it.

[1] http://www.9inchnails.com/remixes/
[3] http://theslip.nin.com/

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
|     ~ Cory Doctorow, The Guardian.  http://tinyurl.com/22bgx8

 23:34:48 up 136 days, 20:10,  5 users,  load average: 0.55, 0.49, 0.74