Re: Microsoft withdraws offer for Yahoo

____/ Ramon F Herrera on Sunday 04 May 2008 05:28 : \____

> On May 3, 11:15 pm, Sinister Midget <fardblos...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/080503/microsoft_yahoo.html?.v=2
>>
>>    SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp (NasdaqGS:MSFT - News)
>>    withdrew its offer for Yahoo Inc (NasdaqGS:YHOO - News) on Saturday
>>    as negotiations fell through on price, even after the software giant
>>    raised its bid by about $5 billion to $47.5 billion.
>>
>>    Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer said his company increased
>>    its offer to $33 per share, from the $31 per share cash-and-stock
>>    bid that it initially made on January 31. But Yahoo was looking for
>>    $37 a share, Ballmer said.
>>
>> Criminey! It would have only cost Fester about $50 billion to seal the
>> deal. It wasn't /that/ far away from the numbers he'd already offered.
>>
>> Oh well. Maybe some other deal will come along that will make MS reach
>> too far and sink themselves.
>>
>> --
>> They teach classes on using Front Page? That's like a cooking class
>> where they teach you how to order a pizza!
>

> One of the biggest problems that M$ faced was that their first order
> of business would have be to disassemble a properly working IT
> infrastructure based on Linux and other Unixes, only to replace it
> with an inferior alternative -as they did with Hotmail. If you acquire
> something like Yahoo, you want to improve it, not to break it.
>
> The Yahoo case is not unlike SAP's: when faced with a takeover from
> Redmond, they took a poison pill, investing heavily in Open Source. It
> worked nicely.

[Assuming Microsoft is not hawking this or will come back later after
psychological games:]

I dropped all my Yahoo things about 2 months ago. I wonder if some of the
employees who fled Yahoo will come back. Either way, Microsoft will spend the
money buying some other companies. At least Microsoft didn't ruin Yahoo
totally. Zimbra can live on happily (some customers ran away) and challenge
Outlook while lots of GNU/Linux and FreeBSD server keep chugging along.

Best news so far this month. But it's probably not over.

"The number of developers working on improving Linux vastly exceeds the number
of Microsoft developers working on Windows NT."
                --Paul Maritz, Microsoft