Re: [News] Microsoft Learns from GNU/Linux and Creates a Windows Distro

"Sinister Midget" <fardblossom@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:hphoe5-s92.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 2008-05-01, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
Microsoft developing 'senior PC'

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft UK is developing a "senior PC", which will have a simple interface
| and be aimed at older users.

"Oh noes! Fragmentation," shouted the WinTrolls.

Oldsters will probably need to buy Vista and "upgrade" to the codger
version at additional cost.

A scheme like that could bring the attorneys general out in force
again. A lot of them are very proactive about going after scammers who
target seasoned citizens to bilk them out of their retirement savings.

--
Vista: Proof you CAN fool some of the people all of the time.

"Codger version," "seasoned citizens," isn't our American
English a fun language?  It comes across much better
than the highschool canonical English so many people seem
to think is proper.  And it's hugely better than street
language, which principally signals large mental deficits
in its users.

But also, there's a point to this.  To me, it's that the
current trends in 'user friendly' are thoroughly bad.  This
'user friendly' was said at its beginning to make using a
computer more easy and accessible.  But I think that if you
compare all the dodgy unpredictable little keystroke jobs
that fill up Windows, vs the simple and powerful unix
resources of command-line, this Windows complexity is
simply out of sight.  Here in Windows, there's a reason I
have a Cygwin for my serious work, which I do thru emacs.
(I also use emacs directly in my Windows.)

On this topic, I hope Microsoft can someday replace its
crummy editor with something up-to-date 30 years ago --
Like-emacs would be best; there's also vi.  Why Microsoft
is so late on this escapes me, but there it is.

For this reason, I don't see any need for a codger version
of Windows.  Rather, just a reversion to the common-sense
and efficient command-line technology we had before Windows
came along with its 'user-friendly.'

Titeotwawki -- mha   [cola 2008 May 1]