Re: [News] New Push for Libraries to Adopt Free Software

* SomeBloke peremptorily fired off this memo:

> Ezekiel wrote:
>
>> Make it available in a library and you won't reach many. Fact is that with
>> the advent of the internet the number of people who visit a library has
>> declined substantially. Years ago people would go to the library to
>> research things. Today people are doing that on the internet. Despite the
>> population growth, the number of people visiting libraries has fallen
>> significantly.

Zeke's a moron.   Our local library is /very/ busy, and not just for
internet access.

> Local libraries here in my locality all have internet access available for
> those without broadband and free lessons available for anyone who needs it.
> Unfortunately, my local council doesn't seem to get the benefits of FOSS.

Did they receive a visit from the Microsoft Goons sponsored by the Gates
Library Initiative?  Our library did, and replaced fast VT100 terminals
with a bunch of locked-down XP "kiosk" boxes running Microsoft bloatware.
They are little bit easier to navigate, though.

It took them awhile to lock them down properly, though. <grin>

--
Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very
efficient.  There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning.