[News] Linux and Free Software Make It Further into Data Centres

The state of Open Source in the Data Centre

,----[ Quote ]
| Is Enterprise Linux the modern day George Jacques Danton of your datacenter?
|
| Datacenters had been constrained in the past by the requisite UNIX hardware;
| its tenure marked by tyrannical expense. Applications often tailored for a
| specific hardware platform and with the proprietary nature of the operating
| system created a tie-in that made it difficult to negotiate a better deal;
| the power was with the institution.
`----

http://www.it-director.com/technology/data_mgmt/content.php?cid=10488

Recent:

Build a 14.5 watt data center in a shoebox

,----[ Quote ]
| The unit runs the SSD Linux operating system, which straps NetBSD userland
| functions onto the Linux kernel.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/27/small_data_center/

How to Deploy Linux From the Data Center to the Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Rising demand for IT from government agencies in the Indian state of Tamil
| Nadu was putting pressure on the state's technology budget. The solution? An
| enterprisewide shift to Linux from the data center to the desktop.
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/179250/How_to_Deploy_Linux_From_the_Data_Center_to_the_Desktop

Open-source software in the data center

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux, Apache and other open-source applications have long been used to power
| Web and file servers. But when it comes to managing the data center, many
| companies have held back. Now, though, some users have turned into big
| believers that open source works here, too.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=data_center&articleId=9057879&taxonomyId=52&intsrc=kc_feat

Related:

Sun Plans To Close Its Data Centers

,----[ Quote ]
| In an interview, Sun's chief technology officer of information technology,
| John Dutra, balked at committing to the 2015 goal, and cautioned that
| Cinque's post was more of a "vision" than a "tactical plan." But Sun's drive
| to reduce its in-house computing hardware is real. In five years, Dutra says,
| more efficient servers and virtualization--the conversion of multiple
| computers into software that can be run on a single machine--will allow Sun
| to do away with five of its eight data centers, reducing both the centers'
| square footage and data consumption by around 50%.
|
| [...]
|
| Still, revamping its internal server systems could save Sun money and create
| less of an environmental footprint. More important, says Carr, Sun's other
| motive may be inspiring an industry shift--one that could mean more high-end
| server sales and reverse a growing trend toward sales of cheaper Windows and
| Linux servers.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2008/01/11/sun-virtualization-data-tech-intel-cx_ag_0111sun.html?partner=yahootix

Opening Up Data Center Management

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Source Offers Front-End Savings & Flexibility, But Consider The TCO
`----

http://www.processor.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles%2Fp2942%2F20p42%2F20p42.asp&guid=&searchtype=&WordList=&bJumpTo=True

Oxford University goes for storage magic

,----[ Quote ]
| on Edwards, an IT Officer for the two faculties, said: "We knew that finding
| an affordable solution that could work seamlessly in a Netware environment
| and that would effectively transition us to a networked storage model while
| giving us reliability, support, and ease of use was going to be a challenge.
| Like most educational establishments, for us, money is not a bottomless pit.
| Our servers and direct-attach storage infrastructure were dated and we wanted
| to deploy a cost-effective, network-based data protection solution that would
| work with our Novell and Linux servers."
`----

http://www.techworld.com/storage/news/index.cfm?newsID=10181&pagtype=samechan

Linux startup moves desktop Windows to the data center

,----[ Quote ]
| In the Solid ICE client interface, users can browse a selection of virtual
| machines and start the ones with the applications they need. Client systems
| may be Linux or Microsoft Windows PCs, thin clients, or, for customers who
| want to convert old PCs to lightweight systems, Linux machines running
| Qumranet's "miniOS." miniOS is just enough to get the Solid ICE session
| started and let the user launch his or her virtual system.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/092407-linux-virtualization.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Levanta Beefs Up Management Team in Preparation for Expansion Into Data Center
Automation

,----[ Quote ]
| "As Linux moves into mainstream business-critical deployments, customers are
| looking for sophisticated enterprise-grade system management solutions for
| Linux," said Eric Gries, CEO of Levanta.
`----

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/-levanta-beefs-up-management-team-preparation-expansion-into-/2007/09/17/2942950.htm

HP Courts Open-Source Community With 'Investments'

,----[ Quote ]
| Anne Livermore, head of Hewlett-Packard's Technology Solutions Group, laid
| out for the open source community the areas in which it has to focus to help
| build the data centers of the future.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20070809/tc_cmp/201307366

ElasticDrive Beta 0.1.6 - Amazon S3 FileSystem

,----[ Quote ]
| Enomaly Inc has announced the release of ElasticDrive. ElasticDrive is a
| network block device based upon the Amazon S3 (Simple Storage Service).
| ElasticDrive provides a caching block device driver which pushes blocks to
| and from S3 as if they were being written to a local block device.
|
| [...]
|
| ElasticDrive provides this service through a virtual NBD service. The NBD
| service translates from standard NBD to S3 packets transparently, so that the
| client (the kernel) sees a generic block device. NBD is supported on almost
| every linux kernel (including EC2). Simply modprobe nbd, and you are ready to
| use ElasticDrive.
`----

http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=396

IGNUM Selects SWsoft Virtuozzo for Linux, Windows in the Czech Republic

,----[ Quote ]
| IGNUM began offering Virtuozzo-powered VPS hosting services in
| mid-April. Two-thirds of those customers are using the Linux
| platform, while the rest are using Windows.
`----

http://www.webknowhow.net/news/press/070730SWsoft.html

Qlusters CTO on the Datacenter Revolution

,----[ Quote ]