Re: [News] "Ready for the Desktop" is Microsoft-imposed FUD

* The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:

> May make no difference.  Microsoft phones are
> already showing up.  Most likely this will be the next
> battleground, and it's a very highly fragmented market --
> not unlike the homebrew computer markets of the late 70's,
> in some respects.  Microsoft could very well unify these
> markets under one well-known umbrella OS, though they'll
> have to fight off Symbian first.

Or themselves.  This is a year old, I wonder if it still holds:

   http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q1.07/50755EA6-A759-42FD-84ED-EBB5A060AF16.html

   The Spectacular Failure of WinCE and Windows Mobile

   Windows Mobile, Palm OS, Linux, and Symbian currently power the
   world\u2019s smartphones. How does each stack up against Apple\u2019s
   OS X in the iPhone? Here\u2019s an overview looking at the merits of
   each, starting with Microsoft.

   . . .

   That means that the staggering losses reported for WinCE--not to
   mention the Xbox and Zune--are not the result of huge amounts of
   technology development or advertising campaigns, but simply because
   nobody wants to buy them, even when offered at loss leader prices.
   How embarrassing!

   . . .

   The mobile phone market is now dominated by Symbian, with Linux in
   second place. WinCE only accounts for around 5% of smartphone mobile
   sales, which itself is a fraction of the overall mobile market.

   . . .

   It's no wonder Microsoft is losing so much money down the rat
   hole of WinCE: it's a shotgun approach to solving everything in
   the "smaller than a breadbox" category with a general purpose
   solution.

--
If you show people the problems and you show people the solutions they will be
moved to act.