Re: Linux and Astronomy

* Bamm peremptorily fired off this memo:

>> Have you considered virtualisation yet (e.g. with VirtualBox which is free)?
>
> Starry Night won't even open in VirtualBox; it complains being unable
> to initialize OpenGL.

Sounds like bullshit to me.

> I am sorry if I hit a raw nerve in this group. It's just frustrating
> to be waiting so long and see so little improvement in the state of
> astronomy programs for Linux.

You mean "amateur astronomy programs", don't you?

I suppose all that UNIX-based "astronomy software" that flashes by on
the science channels on teevee don't exist, whattaya think?

Have you checked out:

   http://phobos.physics.uiowa.edu/tech/software.html

   Talon: Remote Observatory Control Software

   Both the IRT and Rigel telescopes utilize the Talon software suite
   for Observatory scheduling, telescope control and image analysis
   tasks. Talon is an integrated suite of Linux-based software which
   includes telescope scheduling algorithms, observatory instrument
   control, and image analysis.

--
We will never make a 32-bit operating system.
   -- Bill Gates, At the launch of MSX[3]