[News] Dual-licensing Problems and Google's Control Complex

Tenable aims to be "tenable"

,----[ Quote ]
| Tenable Network Security, the company behind the Nessus open-source project,
| has updated its business model [PDF] to offer a for-fee subscription to its
| vulnerability plugin updates for commercial users.
|
| This sounds a bit like Trolltech's early efforts to get commercial users to
| pay while leaving non-commercial users free to use the software without
| paying, but it's not. Trolltech's maligned model wasn't open source, as it
| discriminates against a class of user (the commercial user).
|
| [...]
|
| Of course, some will cry "Foul!" but I don't think so. Not in this case,
| anyway. This is Tenable offering a closed service around open code. To me, it
| seems about the same as offering phone support, except in this case the
| support is offered in the way of policy updates.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9944793-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Why open source developers can be more productive, and other tales from a
Google open house

,----[ Quote ]
| Choice of licenses for Android applications
|
| An Android manager defended the choice of an Apache license for Android’s
| code. People answering the Android application challenge don’t even have to
| provide their source code. (There would probably be ways to achieve this same
| flexibility using a GPL’d base, but companies might feel afraid to trust it.)
| The manager said it was crucial to pull in companies who expect to make money
| licensing applications. And he said that Google could still prevent forking
| and fragmentation by showing the benefits of using a common, open base.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2008/05/why_open_source_developers_can.html?CMP=OTC-6YE827253101&ATT=Why+open+source+developers+can+be+more+productive+and+other+tales+from+a+Google+open+house

"I’d be glad to help tilt lotus into into the death spiral. I could do it
Friday afternoon but not Saturday. I could do it pretty much any time the
following week."

                                --Brad Silverberg, Microsoft

Recent:

It's official: The future of Sun/MySQL is open...and closed

,----[ Quote ]
| The core will always be 100 percent open source. The periphery...will not. Or
| might not. It depends.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9936820-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Dual-licensing: revoking the GPL

,----[ Quote ]
| Remember, less than 3 months later SUN announced  MySQL acquisition.
|
| This paints a summary of what could happen to a DL company even if  nobody's
| initial commitment is questioned.
|
|     * DL Company dies: what happens to the IP/trademarks/licenses?
|     * DL Company undergoes a change of control: what happens to the
|     community?
|     * DL company sells/gives its open source interest to a third party...
|
| Shouldn't we have some sort of  open source prenuptial agreement applying to
| DL companies and their communities?
`----

http://blog.milkingthegnu.org/2008/05/dual-licensing.html

Related:

Sun to dual-license OpenSolaris

,----[ Quote ]
| An anonymous source close to Sun revealed that the company plans to
| dual-license OpenSolaris, making the source code available under the
| GPL3 as well as the CDDL. Sun supposedly plans to complete the
| dual-licensing process after the GPL3 solidifies. At present, the
| GPL3 is still being revised.
`----

http://arstechndica.com/news.ars/post/20070117-8635.html

The Linux Kernel on a Dual Basis?