[News] UK-Based Alfresco Preaches Open Source

Open source largest software industry: Alfresco CEO

,----[ Quote ]
| How can something given away for free end up being the world's largest
| industry of its type? Well, according to open source content management
| vendor Alfresco CEO John Powell the value of open source is not what it
| generates, but what it saves, and that's worth billions.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;896124703

Alfresco's Latest ECM: Prying Open a Sector?

,----[ Quote ]
| John Newton, the chairman and CTO at open source document management firm
| Alfresco, is no stranger to Enterprise Content Management (ECM). You might
| even say he helped put the term on the IT map when he co-founded Documentum,
| the document management company that EMC later bought.
|
| But that was then. Now, he's all about Alfresco's latest Enterprise 2.2
| product, and is trying to up the ante in a market sector dominated by
| proprietary vendors.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3746996/Alfrescos+Latest+ECM+Prying+Open+a+Sector.htm
http://tinyurl.com/5qjcse

Recent:

Alfresco's sales up 320 percent, hits 30,000 active deployments

,----[ Quote ]
| Frankly, even Microsoft could use this model - as Marc Fleury pointed out to
| me earlier this week - without skipping a beat. It could adopt Red Hat's
| model tomorrow without sacrificing its billions in profit. If anything, it
| should grow with a model that focuses on widespread, cheap distribution.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9913953-16.html

Related:

Linux Market to Triple by 2012