Re: [News] Network Shaping (Tiered Web) Could Become Antitrust Violation

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Mon, 12 May 2008 04:27:13 +0100
<2624317.45I5IxjNt5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> ____/ Homer on Monday 12 May 2008 02:12 : \____

>>> U.S. lawmakers introduce new net neutrality bill
>>
>> Fantastic news, but this is only a bill, not quite law yet.
>>
>> Still ... good to know people are fighting the cause.
>
> Bill could kill the bill. Remember that Microsoft is no friend of net
> neutrality. But in reality, other parties are far more likely to do the 'dirt
> job', probably just bri^H^H^Hpaying some people and rigging some votes
> [1,2,3], just like Microsoft recently did (OOXML).

Bear in mind that we only have a handful of high-level
bandwidth suppliers here in the US.  The ones coming to
mind are Earthlink, Verio, Sprint, Comcast, and Level3.
There's probably more but not that many.  Anyone familiar
with monopolistic competition in economics theory is going
to worry a bit; they'll want to differentiate themselves.

I'll admit my understanding of Net Neutrality is
limited, but I get the feeling that one could construe
the restriction of data (the euphemisms usually employed
instead focus on the increase of data rate for preferred
customers, but one wonders what they're really doing
with the switches?)  as a restriction of trade and/or
manipulation of the market, if one can call delivery
a market.  However, the Web is primarily an advertising
medium (who's paying for the server bandwidth?), though
with a considerable amount of charity work (e.g. Wikipedia)
as well.

In any event, the Republicans will want to filibuster it
in the Senate, if they don't like provisions therein.

[rest snipped for brevity]

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #23291:
void f(item *p) { if(p != 0) delete p; }