[News] [Rival] Microsoft Admits Struggling in Google's Turf

Microsoft Hits Brick Wall With Online Advertising

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has admitted it is struggling to gain online advertisers, with
| Google gobbling up as much as 60 per cent of the search-based advertising
| market, according to a report in The Independent.
`----

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Home_Office/Software/A8A2B2E2

Its tug of war between Microsoft Word & Google Docs

,----[ Quote ]
| However, creation of a new document can be done online only. Any changes that
| a user makes to the documents locally will automatically get synched to
| Google Docs, the next time the user connects to the Internet.
|
| According to Meredith Whittaker, Program manager, Google, "Google Docs is all
| about being able to share and collaborate, and now we're taking the idea of
| sharing a step further."
`----

http://www.televisionpoint.com/news2008/newsfullstory.php?id=1211877917

For off-line access there's also OpenOffice.org, which has just earned this new
good review:

A Review of Open Office 3.0 Beta

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall I really like the interface and the speed of Open Office 3.0 Beta. It
| also works great when you need something for typing notes, though do not try
| to save anything as that is when all of the crashes seem to happen on my
| system.
`----

http://ryanorser.com/?p=399

Recent:

Microsoft stock drops amid slumping sales

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp., whose Windows software dominates the personal-computer
| market, fell 6.2 percent Fridayin Nasdaq trading after sales slumped, casting
| doubt on whether PC demand can hold up in a slowing economy. The software
| maker reported a 24 percent drop in sales of Windows last quarter and
| forecast earnings that may miss analysts' estimates.
|
| [...]
|
| "The risk is that Linux gets a foothold and then affects their long-term
|      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| revenue significantly."
`----

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_9061263

Is Microsoft Aura Fading?

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday's early relief rally reversed, and Microsoft's value has now fallen
| by more than $30 billion since it unveiled its bid for Yahoo on February 1.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121004447596669953.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Microsoft says to borrow money for Yahoo deal

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp said on Monday it may borrow money for the first time in its
| history to fund a portion of its $44.6 billion unsolicited offer for Yahoo
| Inc.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews/idUSN0455692920080205

Is Microsoft Now Banned from EU Contracts?

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=697&blogid=14

Euro MP thinks Microsoft should be banned from government contracts

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/10/member-eu-parliament-asks