[News] Free Software and Business in Harmony

Business Logic vs. Free Software Idealism

,----[ Quote ]
| These days, business and free software co-exist with little friction.
|
| Although you still find some members of the free software community who
| automatically view business with suspicion, for the most part the community
| considers the multibillion dollar open source industry as a validation of its
| beliefs. Business and free software are so closely intertwined that kernel
| developers Linus Torvalds and Andrew Morton are employed by the Linux
| Foundation, a non-profit consortium of corporations. But in recent months,
| this cooperation is showing signs of becoming strained.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/opinions/6487/1/

Sun takes this further:

Interview: Crawford Beveridge, executive vice president and chairman of Sun
Microsystems EMEA

,----[ Quote ]
| Crawford Beveridge, Sun Microsystems executive vice president and chairman
| for EMEA, and Marc Heger, Gulf District manager, talk to itp.net about how
| Sun is working to raise government awareness of open source software, green
| IT and something else
|
| [...]
|
| They pool their information into some policy making groups, one of which
| is ‘Open', a corporate standards group, they worry about open standards, open
| source, open media formats; there is one group who worries about helping
| people who want to go to open document formats, understand interoperability
| issues with things like Microsoft Office; I have a group that worry about
| privacy and identity and how we affect government policies around those, and
| one person who deals with our eco group, to make sure we are also affecting
| government policy around the whole eco stuff.
`----

http://www.itp.net/news/520434-interview-crawford-beveridge-executive-vice-president-and-chairman-of-sun-microsystems-emea
http://tinyurl.com/5cd22m

Recent:

Open-Source Software: How the Stock Market Views It

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the past decade, companies have been experimenting with a radical
| concept: openness. Instead of keeping proprietary information close to the
| vest, they make it available to anyone who wants it, usually free of charge.
|
| [...]
|
| This means companies can't rely on vague long-term assurances. For instance,
| promising to make their software an industry standard by giving it away free
| isn't enough to convince investors. Companies must also lay out a plan for
| bringing in cash in the near term. Some companies offer different licenses of
| their open-source product to different groups -- so the software is free for
| consumers, but companies must pay a fee. Other companies make money off their
| software by selling complementary goods and services, such as training
| programs.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121018847081574439.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Open-source venture investing hits an all-time high

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9907679-7.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=NewsBlog