[News] WAVE SDK Ported to GNU/Linux

Twisted Pair Adds .NET and Linux to WAVE SDK; Company Broadens Unified
Communications Developer Opportunities with Support for Linux Engine and .NET
APIs

,----[ Quote ]
| “This new SDK capability completes our developer ecosystem, allowing both
| Windows and Linux developers to build applications for WAVE, a framework
| widely proven in the most rigorous communications environments,” said Tom
| Guthrie, President and CEO at Twisted Pair Solutions.
`----

http://www.emailwire.com/release/13649-Twisted-Pair-Adds-NET-and-Linux-to-WAVE-SDK-Company-Broadens-Unified-Communications-Developer-Opportunities-with-Support-for-Linux-Engine-and-NET-APIs.html
http://tinyurl.com/6xxt2j

Last week:

New report shows UK developers preference for open source technologies

,----[ Quote ]
| The research department of Kingpin Intelligence has just published a new
| research report titled “Developers and Open Source”. The report concludes
| that based on Kingpin's research, non-Open Source respondents would prefer to
| use Open Source for work, but agree that existing licences and client
| requirements hamper migration.
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/news/New-report-shows-UK-developers-preference-for-open-source-technologies--/110795

Recent:

Voice 2.0 developers like Open Source, independence

,----[ Quote ]
| A survey of Voice 2.0 developers carried out by iLocus, a research firm
| focussed on emerging communications, reveals that 72 percent of them prefer
| to work with Open Source telephony platforms like Asterisk, OpenSER, and
| FreeSWITCH and offer services direct to the consumer. The survey is part of a
| report 'Voice 2.0: 2008 Status Report' published by iLocus.
`----

http://www.ciol.com/Developer/Open-Source/News-Reports/Voice-20-developers-like-Open-Source,-independence/6508105763/0/

Linux kernel developers have tripled in number

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Foundation (LF) has published a study on Linux mainline kernel
| development. According to LF, the number of Linux kernel developers has
| tripled since 2005, with many more companies contributing to the process
| (including, potentially, the latest new LF member, Adobe).

Guess What? Fox News is Responsive to the Linux Community.

,----[ Quote ]
| Mr. Denis also stated that most of the Fox News developers use Ubuntu.
`----

http://blog.eracc.com/2008/04/28/guess-what-fox-news-is-responsive-to-the-linux-community/

Alfresco Updates its OSS Enterprise Content Manager

,----[ Quote ]
| According to open source blogger Matt Asay, who is also general manager of
| the Americas for Alfresco, Alfresco had about "about five thousand plus
| registered developers" as of late last year. More information on Alfresco
| Enterprise 2.2 is available at the company's site.
`----

http://ostatic.com/161905-blog/alfresco-updates-its-oss-enterprise-content-manager

Application Security for Open Source - The New Frontier

,----[ Quote ]
| The study also revealed that open source was being used by 71% of worldwide
| developers, and was in production at 54% of their companies. Although upper
| management has only recently signed off on its use, developers have long
| understood that open source is the fastest (and cheapest) path to software
| innovation.
`----

http://opensource.sys-con.com/read/562560_p.htm

Open Source Embrace Gives Sun New Fans

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun's first stab at open source was via the Common Development and
| Distribution License (CDDL) -- a modified Mozilla open source license
| recently approved by the Open Source Initiative (OSI). That didn't go over
| very well, so Sun switched to the more popular General Public License (GPL),
| and suddenly, it was getting Richard "St. IGNUcius" Stallman's blessings.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3744916/Open+Source+Embrace+Gives+Sun+New+Fans.htm
http://tinyurl.com/65jcmg

Embedded Linux Workshop Proves Big Attraction at Hi-Tech Developers Event

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.businessweekly.co.uk/thames-innovation-centre/embedded-linux-workshop-proves-big-attraction-at-hi-tech-developers-event.html

Voice 2.0 developers like Open Source, independence

,----[ Quote ]
| A survey of Voice 2.0 developers carried out by iLocus, a research firm
| focussed on emerging communications, reveals that 72 percent of them prefer
| to work with Open Source telephony platforms like Asterisk, OpenSER, and
| FreeSWITCH and offer services direct to the consumer. The survey is part of a
| report 'Voice 2.0: 2008 Status Report' published by iLocus.
`----

http://www.ciol.com/Developer/Open-Source/News-Reports/Voice-20-developers-like-Open-Source,-independence/6508105763/0/

Study: ~50% of Norwegian Software Vendors Integrate FOSS Components

,----[ Quote ]
| ... based on an extensive screening of software companies, with more than 700
|
| Analysis shows that close to 50% of the software industry integrate OSS
| components into vertical solutions serving all major business sectors.
|
| In addition, more than 30% of the companies using OSS components have over
| 40% of their income from OSS related services or software.
`----

http://opensource.org/node/325

Motorola challenges Indian developers

,----[ Quote ]
| Later this year, Motorola will launch ‘MotoDev Studio for Linux’ to support
| applications written in C or C++, for future MotoMagx Linux platforms.
`----

http://www.hindu.com/2008/05/18/stories/2008051855411200.htm

Coders Tell Why They're Avoiding Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. undoubtedly wanted to avoid its current predicament. It has
| been publicly talking up features in Vista since 2003 -- half a decade.
|
| But such "overmarketing," as Krasowski calls it, can rebound. Experienced
| developers have become jaded towards the third-party apps Microsoft trots out
| as exemplars of Redmond's latest technology -- "demoware," he calls them --
| that sparkle with flashy animation and video.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146035/coders_tell_why_theyre_avoiding_vista.html

Survey: Programmers shunning Vista for Mac OS and Linux

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/05/18/survey-programmers-shunning-vista-for-mac-os-and-linux/

Developers not touching Microsoft Vista with a 10-foot pole

http://vista.blorge.com/2008/05/18/developers-not-touching-microsoft-vista-with-a-10-foot-pole/
http://tinyurl.com/5ewsur