[News] [Rival] Microsoft Spreads FOSS FUD, Shows Sheer Arrogrance

Getting Open Source Right

,----[ Quote ]
| Like most assumptions about open source from Microsoft, a big piece of the
| overall picture is conveniently left out.
|
| The context of Matusow's blog entry is a trip he recently took to South
| Africa where he had talks about interoperability and open source issues. As
| noted in a Tectonic article, Matusow's visit fell around the same time the
| South African government was approving the OpenDocument Format (ODF) for
| government use. (Funny...)
|
| [...]
|
| Matusow then goes on to make another, more specific, assumption about South
| Africa. Their local developers don't seem to have the skill set to do any
| real contributions to OSS anyway, so the benefit of local participation is
| lost on them anyway.
|
| Ignoring the fact that this is the single most arrogant thing I think I have
| heard anyone say about a nation's potential (I'll let my colleagues take that
| part of the argument on), who is Matusow to say anything about who can code
| what for Linux and OSS? Is you said "nobody," you're absolutely right.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2008-05-23-016-26-OP-DV-PB

Earlier today:

Then, they fight you

,----[ Quote ]
| That was two days ago but yesterday we were notified that the Microsoft
| representative in charge with the education strategy had requested the
| organizers to pull the Ubuntu presentation because it is 'unfair competition'
| to hold such a presentation at an event sponsored by them. They are indeed
| co-sponsors but the conference is organized by the Ministry of Education and
| its local office, and is being held on the premises of a public University.
`----

http://janimo.blogspot.com/2008/05/then-they-fight-you.html

Recent:

South Africans don’t understand OSS - Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2432