[News] [Rival] Microsoft's OOXML Called "Dead Format Walking"

Microsoft OOXML: Dead Format Walking

,----[ Quote ]
| Since most Office users would be happy to continue using Microsoft's old
| binary formats, and since those for whom open standards are important would
| probably prefer ODF or PDF formats anyhow, I won't be surprised if OOXML
| quietly dies before that future Office iteration ever sees the light of day.

As the ODF-OOXML world turns

,----[ Quote ]
| Oh the drama. Most of us knew ISO approval of Microsoft’s OOXML format was
| not the end, but more of a beginning in the ongoing fight for the future’s
| file format. Any doubts of that were put to rest this week with a flurry of
| activity around OOXML’s approval, ODF adoption, Microsoft’s support and the
| stance of U.S. states and other governments.

Should We Fear the (Redmond) Geeks Bearing Gifts?

,----[ Quote ]
| As well as this unexpected backing, proponents of ODF should also find their
| hand strengthened once OpenOffice.org 3.0 appears. By all accounts it's a
| good step up from version 2.0, and that was markedly better than 1.0.
| All-in-all, then, things are looking up for open source office suites in
| enterprises: now might be a good time to go on the offensive.

Microsoft's ODF Policy Gets Skeptical Reception From EU

,----[ Quote ]
| Little sooner had Microsoft announced upcoming Office support for the Open
| Document Format than the European Commission countered that it will
| investigate to make sure such a measure actually ensures greater consumer
| choice. Microsoft's Office 2007 will support ODF once the suite's Service
| Pack 2 comes along. It's expected in the first half of 2009.

Microsoft's embrace of ODF cautiously welcomed

,----[ Quote ]
| A looming concern is if Microsoft's implementation of ODF within Office will
| handle documents with the same or better performance as competing suites.
| Microsoft has been criticized for embracing a particular standard but using
| subtle means within its software to subvert it.

All eyes on how Microsoft pulls off ODF support

,----[ Quote ]
| European Commission, weary of dealing with Microsoft, will put the software
| giant under the microscope

EU to investigate Microsoft file format support.

,----[ Quote ]