Re: Splashtop

____/ Linonut on Tuesday 20 May 2008 12:46 : \____

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-30107/martin-bryan:we-are-getting-standardization-by-corporation

>    Martin Bryan: Report on WG1 activity for December 2007 Meeting of
>    ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG1 in Kyoto, 2007-11-29
>
>        This year WG1 have had another major development that has made it
>        almost impossible to continue with our work within ISO. The
>        influx of P members whose only interest is the fast-tracking of
>        ECMA 376 as ISO 29500 has led to the failure of a number of key
>        ballots. Though P members are required to vote, 50% of our
>        current members, and some 66% of our new members, blatantly
>        ignore this rule despite weekly email reminders and reminders on
>        our website. As ISO require at least 50% of P members to vote
>        before they start to count the votes we have had to reballot
>        standards that should have been passed and completed their
>        publication stages at Kyoto. This delay will mean that these
>        standards will appear on the list of WG1 standards that have not
>        been produced within the time limits set by ISO, despite our best
>        efforts.
>
> Wow.  Microsoft -- a bunch of selfish bastards that break into your
> home, hold a party on your lawn, insult you, have their way with your
> women, and then leave you with a big mess to clean up.
>
>        The disparity of rules for PAS, Fast-Track and ISO committee
>        generated standards is fast making ISO a laughing stock in IT
>        circles.
>
> Well, Microsoft does things in a big way.  Maybe we should thank them
> for exposing a totally broken system?  I don't know.

At the end it's a question of awareness. Many people never saw what Bryan said.
He tried to do damage control later, saying it was never supposed to be made
publicly visible, but it was too late because it got plastered all over the
Web, which did even *MORE* damage to ISO (admission of failure). I cited this
a few times and got it Dugg into the front page, so the eventually made it
into Wikipedia (the article about "ISO"!).

Punishment will come with better awareness:

Microsoft Plummets, Retail Falls While Beauty Gains in CoreBrand 2007 Brand
Power Rankings

,----[ Quote ]
| The annual "CoreBrand Brand Power 100" Branding Index(R) of 1,200 US
| corporations ranks Coca-Cola Company and Johnson & Johnson at #1 and #2
| respectively, unchanged since 2004. Meanwhile, Microsoft's corporate brand
| declined in stunning fashion over the past four years, falling from 11 in
| 2004 to 59 in 2007 Microsoft, a decline of 48 places!
`----

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=834308

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Proprietary cripples communication