Re: Schestowitz lies again (was Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Unacceptable "Pay Up or Be Zombie" Tactics)

* Book of Job peremptorily fired off this memo:

> Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>
>> * Book of Job peremptorily fired off this memo:
>>
>>> Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>>> I snipped what was unneccessary to prove Roy's quote false.  Whether
>>> it's "sufficient" or only "gets that bottom layer" is irrelevant to
>>> the point I was trying to make.  The point is that Roy misremembered
>>> (or down-right lied about) Schneier's statement to make it the exact
>>> *opposite* of what he actually said.
>>
>> Nope.  Not opposite.  Just incomplete (and, yes, misleading).
>
> I'm glad you're willing to come half way and admit that the statement is
> misleading, but that's giving Roy too much credit.  Something cannot be
> "worthless"--one adjective used to define snakeoil--yet at the same time
> "work" and be "necessary".
>
> At this point, it seems clear that we will have to agree to disagree; all
> I can provide are quotes and definitions, and if those aren't enough then
> there's no point continuing this discussion.

Sure there is.  Here's what you quoted from ROy:

   Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

   *snip*
   > Pay up or become part of the 320,000,000-PC zombies fleet. You'll
   > probably become one either way because AV software is no longer
   > effective (Schneier publicly calls it "snake oil" now).

   Interesting how, for all the claims you make and links you provide,
   you didn't provide anything to support *this* particular claim.

   The reason?  You are lying about what Schneier said.  Indeed, he said
   just the opposite: ...

Here's what the article title says:

   Schneier: Lots of Security Software Is 'snake Oil'

Going by the title alone, I would say that Roy is /not/ saying just the
opposite, wouldn't you?

Of course, if you read the article, you then see where Schneier leaves
anti-virus software out of that claim.

So now, at least to me, Roy looks merely careless, not an out-and-out
liar.

--
I laid out memory so the bottom 640K was general purpose RAM and the upper
384 I reserved for video and ROM, and things like that. That is why they