[News] Valve's Steam Comes to GNU/Linux

Steam Client For Linux Confirmed: Linux Libraries Appear In Left 4 Dead Demo

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier this year we shared that Valve's Source Engine is coming to Linux
| after receiving some information that pointed in this direction. In addition,
| a year ago Valve Software was publicly looking for a senior software engineer
| to port Windows-based games to Linux platform. There have long been rumors
| and hopes among Linux users that Steam games would become natively available
| for Linux, but we have additional confirmation that Valve Software has ported
| their Steam game client to Linux. In Valve's most recent title, Left 4 Dead,
| there are shared Linux libraries shipping alongside this Windows game client.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=steam_confirmation&num=1

Recent:

Google To Acquire Valve??? News

,----[ Quote ]
| According to The Inquirer and 'well placed sources', Google is on the verge
| of acquiring Half-Life and Left 4 Dead developers, Valve Software, with an
| potential announcement at this week's Game Developers Conference in Austin,
| Texas.
|
| Google's main interest in the firm apparently rests with Valve's Steam
| content distribution system, which has become increasing popular with
| publishers in the last couple of years as a way to digitally distribute their
| titles. So far, the likes of 2K Games, Eidos, and Activision have all signed
| up to Steam, alongside indie studios such as Introversion (Darwinia) and
| Media Molecule (Rag Doll Kung Fu).
`----

http://www.totalvideogames.com/news/Google_To_Acquire_Valve_13773_7214_0.htm

Valve's Source Engine Coming To Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| There have been rumors since last year that Valve may be serious about
| porting Source games to Linux after Valve Software began seeking a senior
| software engineer with the responsibility of porting Windows-based games to
| the Linux platform. Valve Software has yet to officially announce Linux
| clients for any of its software, but at Phoronix we have received information
| confirming that Valve is indeed porting its very popular Source engine to the
| Linux platform.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=source_linux&num=1

id Software Starts Work On Doom 4!

,----[ Quote ]
| In addition to the good news we broke this morning that Valve is porting the
| Source engine to Linux, id Software has announced today that they have begun
| work on Doom 4!
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjQ2Ng

Related: