Re: Why I choose Mandriva

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 20:10:32 -0500, Sandeep Kumar wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 18:55:05 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:
>

>> You need to get your facts straight. I last *had Windows on my PC* in
>> August of 1997 when I switched to Linux full time. I have not used
>> Windows on my workstation since.
>
> I will vouch for Terry on this one.
> He has claimed this for years so I will take his word on it.

A long term claim is no evidence of truth.

The fact my statement is true, has nothing to do with you.

>> However I have had the unpleasant experience of using XP for around 12
>> months while working for an embedded manufacturer around 5 years ago.
>
> To each his own.
> I happen to like XP.   [NOTE 1]

Of course you would, you're a Wintroll.

If you liked Linux, you'd advocate it here. Something I have never seen
you do.

>> I have never seen Vista, and like the majority of computer users, have
>> no desire to ever see it.
> I have no desire to move to Vista but mostly because DAW applications
> have problems with it.
> I've used Vista and on appropriate hardware it's actually pretty nice.
>
> Would I upgrade to Vista?
> No.
> Would I purchase a pre-loaded Vista machine? Sure.
> Why not.

Take that question to alt.os.vista.advocacy, because I neither know, or
care to know.

>>> Mind you, this would account
>>> for your total ignorance about what does and does not run on it.
>>
>> Your claims of 'available' are simply misleading as shown above.
>>
>> Even if you succeed in running a Linux application under Windows,
>> you're still stuck with Windows and all the limitations of that
>> platform.
>
> I pick the applications first and then the platform

This is a flawed methodology.

It's like saying "I choose the quality of airline seats before the
aircraft."

No use having a guilded throne in something that is about to crash
because it's *not reliable*.

> which is why I see
> little use for Wine.

I don't see much use for Wine either.

The Redhat method of writing apps under Linux and them using Mingw to
make them run on Windows is a much better idea.

> I do run 40tude under it,

Only to show it can be done, please see [NOTE1] above.

> but I could just as easily use pan if I wanted
> to.

At least you could devise any search of the posts you wanted with Pan or
Slrn. Instead of being stuck with the 40tude binary lump.

> I'm a creature of habit though.
>

>> Windows ... which Linux application would you like to *try* and run
>> today ?
>
> Why bother?
> Windows has all the good applications.

An old mantra, and becoming less and less accurate. CP/M used to have all
the good apps once. CP...  what ????

> Linux doesn't.

Windows itself is a shaky and unstable foundation, and any app running on
it may come crashing down as a result.

Simple logic, shame you cannot see it.

indeed listen to.  Trolls are not among those people, as trolls, more or
          Kelsey Bjarnason, C.O.L.A. 2008