[News] Free Software's Relation to Human Rights Issues

Free Software and Human Rights

,----[ Quote ]
| In the Free Software and Education conference I attended in Quito, Ecuador
| last month, I met a most interesting person, GianMarco Schiesaro, who gave a
| very interesting presentation, entitled: Free Software and Human Rights. I’m
| not aware that this particular relationship has been investigated many times.
|
| I’m not reproducing the whole essay, which I reproduced here, but only the
| introduciton and the conclusions.
|
| The main body of the text discusses free software as it is related to three
| sets of rights:
|
| * Software and the Right to Development
|
| * Software and the Right to Communication
|
| * Software and the Right to Education
`----

http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/free-software-and-human-rights/2008/11/26

Recent:

Free Software Essay

,----[ Quote ]
| Imagine a world in which computer software was free. Now, imagine a world
| where software can be modified in whatever way the user desires. This is the
| world of free software. Free software has been touted as an evil entity by
| large companies, such as Microsoft, but these companies often use lies and
| miscommunication to make free software seem like it is an evil entity trying
| to steal form people that work hard and get paid to make software. Free
| software was designed to give people freedom in choice for the software that
| they used, and freedom to do what they wanted to with it. (Glynn)
`----

http://jakeneumann.wordpress.com/2008/08/10/free-software-essay/

One year ago...The dignity of the developer

,----[ Quote ]
| Open-source software is not the answer to villas or poverty in the developing
| world. But it is one answer for an increasing number of people. Open source
| keeps cash in the economies where it is written, modified, or deployed. It
| allows local software economies to grow, rather than shipping pesos back to
| the US to pay for proprietary software licenses.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10012808-16.html

Free Software leader slams NZ copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| “New Zealand’s law does not go as far as the DMCA in the US, but it is unjust
| nonetheless,” he says.
|
| “DRM is nearly always the result of a conspiracy of companies to restrict the
| technology available to the public. Such conspiracy should be a crime, and
| the executives responsible for it should be sentenced to prison.”
|
| Stallman’s other mission here is to promote the Free Software Movement. The
| creator of the GPL licence, under which most free software is distributed, is
| at pains to correct misunderstandings of what the term “free software” means
| and to draw a distinction between it and the open source movement.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/0064FE274A08BA2CCC25749A00383CB3

Free software pioneer Richard Stallman on his experience in Cuba

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/stallman_on_cuba