[News] GNU/Linux is Free (Gratis and Libre), Migration is Not

Why Migration Costs. Smoothing the way for software change.

,----[ Quote ]
| If you rely on your computer for work, I highly recommend you keep your old
| trustworthy system handy while you learn the new software. If you try to
| accomplish working and learning at the same time, you will probably fail at
| both. If you are facing a deadline and need to get a job finished right now,
| just use the software tools you are used to. For most people, that sort of
| pressure will not encourage learning. It will only lead to resenting the
| differences. As you become more familiar with the new software, give yourself
| more opportunities to use it for real work.
`----

http://www.adriantry.com/why-migration-costs-smoothing-the-way-for-software-change/

Migrations are long-term investments.

Recent:

Red Hat Solutions Provide Reliability and Performance Gains for Munich Airport

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat (NYSE: RHT), the world's leading provider of open source solutions,
| today announced that Munich Airport, recognized for three consecutive years
| as Europe’s “Airport of the Year” by air transport research company Skytrax,
| has migrated a large portion of its UNIX servers and desktops to Red Hat
| Enterprise Linux. The Airport has since realized heightened performance, cost
| savings and reliable support.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080806005320&newsLang=en

Munich released template management software as Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| As can be read in this German article, the City of Munich just released their
| template management software for OpenOffice.org as Open Source under the
| European Union Public License (EUPL). It's great to see that government
| organizations start to embrace the open source development model!
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/munich_released_template_management_software

DE: Munich GNU/Linux desktop selects European Open Source licence

,----[ Quote ]
| The LiMux developers are not changing licences of existing software, but they
| are releasing their own additional applications using the EUPL.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7648/469

City of Munich and German Federal Foreign Office start collaboration

| According to this German article, the City of Munich and the German Federal
| Foreign Office have started to collaborate on the implementation of their
| open source and open standards strategies. I would not be surprised if other
| organizations decided to join the "alliance" as well. Anyway, very cool to
| see government organizations collaborate regarding the usage of open source
| and open standards.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/city_of_munich_and_german

Related: