[News] In Praise of GNU/Linux Sub-notebooks (a Comparison)

The complete Christmas shopper's guide to Linux-based netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| Give a gift of a netbook this year; I will be. These ultra-light computing
| devices are versatile, affordable and appealing. But which one to buy? Should
| you pay more for a laptop? What are the pros and cons between different
| models? Never fear, here's how to work your way through the morass and buy
| with confidence!
|
| [...]
|
| The big list! This is it – the ultimate Christmas shopper’s guide to what’s
| available in the world of netbooks. Get one for yourself, get one for your
| children, get one for your parents.
|
| For each entry the unit’s manufacturer and model are listed followed by the
| weight in kilograms and pounds, the screen size in inches, the display
| resolution, the processor type, processor speed, storage capacity (or
| capacities, where options are available) and built-in RAM capacity (or
| capacities, where options are available.)
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/21931/1143/

One Guy, 3 Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| Netbooks are a new category of laptop computer, defined mostly by their small
| size and cheap price. The category started only a year ago and has evolved
| drastically since. I tried the first netbook, an Asus Eee PC with a 7-inch
| screen and didn't like it; the keyboard and screen were much too small. But
| many disagreed with me, and the popularity of that first Eee PC led to dozens
| and dozens of imitators.
|
| In their current state, with bigger keyboards, bigger screens and the ability
| to run Windows XP, I think netbooks will be hugely popular. Certainly they
| are lacking in some respects, but I suspect that many people will judge them
| to be "good enough," especially considering prices as low as $350 for a
| machine running Windows XP with a 10-inch screen.
|
| [...]
|
| I wanted my second netbook to offer as different an experience as possible.
| In addition to the larger screen, that meant Linux instead of Windows XP, a
| solid state hard disk rather than a traditional one with spinning platters, a
| more powerful 6-cell battery and a screen with a matte rather than glossy
| finish.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/features/article.php/12297_3786871_1

Recent:

Linux Carried Along on Netbooks Wave

,----[ Quote ]
| Morvay revealed to Linux Magazine Online that there were no specific figures
| for Linux netbook sales, but that it lay somewhere in the 40th percentile.
| Even though this figure seems a little high, it is known that many of the
| world's netbooks have Linux on board since their first inception 18 months
| ago.
|
| For example, notebooks with Linux make up about 5.5% of the notebook market
| in Germany...
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/online/news/linux_carried_along_on_netbooks_wave

Linux preinstalls rocket to three per cent [preinstalled, not installed base]

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is still be shipped with 93 per cent of all PCs sold through
| distribution in the UK, according to Context.
|
| Yet Linux has nevertheless made an impressive gain.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/01/linux-preloads-rocket-per-cent

Sustainable computing for the masses

,----[ Quote ]