Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft CTO Quits!!!

After takin' a swig o' grog, Sandeep Kumar belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

> On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 01:49:36 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> That's a valid concern, but people who hunt for jobs need to practice and brush
>> up programming skills. Contributing to F/OSS is one way.
>
> I do not see this occuring.People need to feed their families and in this
> economy and our chosen field of information technology jobs are very scarce
> indeed.

Even if you have a job actually writing software for a living, it is still
refreshing to go home and write some more software, but write what you want
to, adhering to your standards of coding and quality.

>> Another thing is, F/OSS sites see a rise in volume/activity/traffic because
>> companies move away from pricey software and hire people with the
>> corresponding skills.
>
> Possbily in time however right now budgets are frozen and contracts are
> being canceled or postponed.We have just canceled orders with several big
> companies because our budgets have been frozen.My personal feeling is that
> open source software should be a goal we shoot for.My company is currently
> using Linux on the front and back ends of the operation and we have had
> several proposals for a completes or almost completes migration to Linux
> but they have been put on hold because in truth we are living for the
> moment. I work for a Fortune 100, in fact a Fortune 50 company and we are
> in serious troubles right now.My advice to neo's is to learn all you can
> about Linux or Free BSD or even OSX because Microsoft is in trouble and as
> soon as the economy smooths out, these frozen budgets will be let loose and
> the name of the game is going to be lean and mean and Linux is a perfect
> fit for that situation.
>
>>                 ~~ Best of wishes
>
> Right back to you!

Nice.  <really!>