Re: 2010 soccer world cup Opens Up to Wider Audience (Free Software)

On Nov 25, 3:53 pm, Sandeep Kumar <deep8391720...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 18:28:36 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> > After takin' a swig o' grog, Sandeep Kumar belched out
> >   this bit o' wisdom:
>
> >> On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 12:38:14 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
> >> I apologize for not being clear.By target I meant that Linux should target
> >> Windows instead of firefox not that websites should code for Windows.Using
> >> firefox as an example of oss programming being successful is flawed because
> >> the vast majority are using it as a Windows browser not a Linux version.
>
> > Since when does running on Windows alter Firefox's status as OSS?
>
> It doesn't but pretending that Linux has something to do with it is
> lame.Notice that the top tier Linux applications are the ones which have
> Windows versions as well although in my experience the Linux versions seem
> to work better such as openoffice for example.

Well, now I'm confused, though if one is pedantic enough
Sandeep does have a point; Linux qua Linux has very little
to do with actual web browsing; the kernel manages the
sockets and the NIC I/O when the web browser asks to
open port 80 somewhere, and that's about it.  (The name
resolution is done via a library; Linux might have to worry
about UDP packets flying about on port 53 in that case.)

Of course, one of the reasons Linux works so well is
that it has a lot of applications ported thereto; these
include those that also work on Windows, such as Firefox.
However, it also has a number of applications ported
from Unix -- The X Windows System comes to mind.

One of the reasons Linux doesn't work so well is that
it's not Windows, and therefore those most familiar
with Windows take a look at it and get confused.  The
only cure for that is more experience and/or training.

[*] actually, one can have multiple X servers running.
    DISPLAY=remotehost:1 corresponds to port 6001, for
    example.  ssh can create a proxy as well,
    permissions permitting, allowing X commands and
    drawing instructions to pass through an encrypted
    tunnel.  The traditional port in this case is
    port 6010 (localhost:10).