[News] Welte Recommends Dumping Binary Drivers

Closed Linux driver problems described

,----[ Quote ]
| Why doesn't Linux aim to offer a stable kernel-level API? There has been
| debate about it in the past, but Welte explains that the current system has
| been kept so that "if there's a technical reason to change the ABI, we can do
| so."
| Welte concludes, "Please don't do binary only Linux drivers. You will put
| resources into a driver that in the end, almost no one will be able to use."

Kernel space: drivers that don't make the kernel scene

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux supports most hardware "out of the box" without adding a driver. Most
| of the missing drivers are proprietary, from uncooperative manufacturers, but
| there are a few where the license is right but the actual code is still
| missing. Why?

Linux Foundation points finger at Nvidia

,----[ Quote ]
| Though a statement issued Monday does not cite Nvidia by name, Linux
| Foundation Technical Advisory Board Chair James Bottomley cited Nvidia in a
| phone interview. "My intent is to point out the problems Nvidia has been
| causing themselves with their binary-only (drivers)," he said. "They are
| certainly one of the few companies sticking to a binary-only strategy."
| Binary-only means the drivers are essentially closed.

Position Statement on Linux Kernel Modules

NVidia says no to request to release open source drivers, once again

,----[ Quote ]