[News] IBM Gains Routes to Migration to GNU/Linux on Many Chips

IBM's Transitive buy presents interesting server options

,----[ Quote ]
| Like so many of IBM's moves, the acquisition of Transitive appears to be both
| an offensive and defensive move at the same time. More on that in a bit. But
| first, let's review what QuickTransit was when it was launched in September
| 2004 and how it has been used since then.
|
| [...]
|
|     * QuickTransit for Itanium: supported MIPS, Power/PowerPC, X86, and
|       mainframe binaries
|     * QuickTransit for Opteron: supported MIPS, Power/PowerPC, and mainframe
|       binaries
|     * QuickTransit for X86: supported MIPS, Power/PowerPC, and mainframe
|       binaries
|     * QuickTransit for Power/PowerPC: supported MIPS, X86, and mainframe
|       binaries
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/25/ibm_transitive_options/

Recent:

IBM gets into server transit business

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM uses Transitive's technology in its PowerVM Lx86 - previously System P
| Application Virtual Environment or PAVE - product which enables Linux X86
| workloads to run on PowerPC hardware. The technology could be used to let
| mainframe Linux apps run on PowerPC too.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/19/ibm_buys_transitive/

IBM Announces Plans to Acquire Transitive

,----[ Quote ]
| Transitive is a leader in cross-platform virtualization and a pioneer in
| developing technologies that allow applications written for one type of
| microprocessor and operating system to run on multiple platforms -- with
| little or no modification. As a result, the technology will enable customers
| to consolidate their Linux-based applications onto the IBM systems that make
| the most sense for their business needs.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Cray-CX1-Taps-Clustercorps-Rocks/story.aspx?guid=%7B05AAD59F-778E-4A78-B561-6CFB29B26D6C%7D

Teaching Everyone to Speak Big Blue

,----[ Quote ]
| With Transitive’s technology, it would be very easy for I.B.M. to step up
| existing efforts to lure H.P. and Sun customers to its own servers. And if
| those other translation programs languished in I.B.M.’s vault, well, no one
| at Big Blue would shed any tears.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/11/18/teaching-everyone-to-speak-big-blue/

Related:

Code dandy Transitive adds laptop, legacy Solaris/SPARC plays

,----[ Quote ]
| These days, Transitive leads with its Quick Transit Server product, which
| brings applications written for Solaris/SPARC systems over to Linux on x86
| gear.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/09/27/transitive_three_products/

Transitive Rejiggers Emulation Software, Adds Partners

,----[ Quote ]
| Transitive is not going to talk about how much dough it is raking in.
| Incidentally, the product for moving applications to Itanium-Linux machines
| is just starting to ship this week.
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/tug/tug091307-story03.html

Transitive Ships Version 1.2 of QuickTransit for Solaris/SPARC-to-Linux/x86-64

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://opensource.sys-con.com/read/398750_p.htm