Re: [News] $75 Single-board Computer Comes with Linux Preinstalled

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 25 November 2008 10:42 : \____

> Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> 7 <website_has_email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> Beef up this little puppy with RAM or get an Ausus EEE or a HiVision  $98
>>> laptop, put some Gambas and right away it could be used to control CNC
>>> machines out of a USB interface or an RS232 interface.
>>>
>>> The smaller CNCs could reach $2000 mark and still sell at a profit.
>>>

>> This market had almost disappeared during the "windows" era.  It's great
>> to see innovation back in computing again.
>>

> Something's just dawned on me - we're now at the end of the "Windows"
> era.  We can put dates around it, like this:
>
> Windows 3.1 released 1992 to Windows Vista released 2007
>
> Microsoft did extremely well to maintain monopoly for so long, 15 years;
> this is an exceptional achievement, and took huge amounts of effort to
> manipulate the legal systems and politicians of the world, ensuring that
> judges were removed from anti-trust cases, and that remedies were
> worthless, and that payback for the occasional "winners" was in the form
> of vouchers, whilst filling the planet with exceptionally effective
> marketing.  A stellar achievement.
>
> Interestingly, this period is an amazingly close fit to the Linux
> development period, and in particular, almost exactly mirrors the Debian
> development timeline.  Debian was started in 1993 (Linux first release
> in 1991, and the GNU project about 1984 ish).
>
> Anyway, we have a Windows era, which was from 1992 to 2007
>
> One wonders what we might consider the Linux era to be...

Microsoft will need to redo their operating system or start from scratch like
Apple. They can't rely on XP forever. GNOME and KDE are miles ahead. Mac OS
too...

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    while (sig==sig) sig=!sig;
 11:20:01 up 40 days, 19:38,  2 users,  load average: 0.60, 1.03, 1.01