[News] Social Aspects of Free Software and Copyleft

Free Culture and Copyleft: A social movements perspective

,----[ Quote ]
| The increasing complexity of the intellectual property landscape will
| eventually come to a breaking point; legal cases involving copyright are
| notoriously expensive and difficult to settle, and the new profusion of
| alternative licensing options serves to further complicate the situation,
| despite the relative clarity of the CC licenses themselves. And these
| licenses have been adopted in an economically significant fashion. An amicus
| brief submitted for a recent federal appeals court decision pointed out that
| millions of works have been released under copyleft licenses, affecting such
| organizations as MIT, IBM, Wikipedia, numerous free software projects and
| many businesses; upholding a lower court decision that threatened copyleft
| enforceability would therefore be enormously disruptive.
`----

http://www.anikarenina.com/2008/11/21/free-culture-and-copyleft-a-social-movements-perspective/

Software as a subversive activity: The making of a Linux geek

,----[ Quote ]
| The freedom part refers to open source. Source code is the sequence of
| commands that the über-über geeks write in programming languages. You then
| take a program called a compiler to convert the source code into
| an “executable” program--the 1s and 0s that the machine understands. In the
| Microsoft mindset, a purchaser gets the compiled program but the source code
| is a closely guarded proprietary secret. You get the software they wrote, use
| it the way they say, you wait for them to patch the bugs. In Linux world, the
| source code is open for everybody to see, adapt, and maybe improve. Whenever
| you're proofreading anything, extra sets of eyeballs means more chances
| someone will see the mistake.
`----

http://jdeeth.blogspot.com/2008/11/making-of-linux-geek.html

Recent:

On the Culture of Free Software: Interview with Christopher Kelty

,----[ Quote ]
| Free Software provides a radical form of openness which is, perhaps, a very
| American way of constituting a public (suspicious of the state and
| corporations, obsessed with ideas of balance and fairness, and a weird mix of
| individualism and populism). The question I think it raises is whether, as a
| politics it has a content. Free Software as it exists has an insanely refined
| focus on form over political content (and this is the source of the suspicion
| about the dominance of the technical). But the question is: is this focus on
| form itself a particular kind of political content? At some level yes, but it
| is one that is open to, and maybe even encourages people to challenge it. It
| is a way of saying: if this is a (for instance) “libertarian” form, it is one
| that you are allowed to change — so make it less libertarian if you believe
| that will make it better. It says nothing, however, about whether people will
| have the power to do that, which is its weakest feature, its inability to
| incorporate the concrete fact that history has led us to this point.
`----

http://transition.turbulence.org/blog/2008/08/25/on-the-culture-of-free-software/

How world-changing are the culture and politics of free software?

,----[ Quote ]
| Free Software provides a radical form of openness which is, perhaps, a very
| American way of constituting a public (suspicious of the state and
| corporations, obsessed with ideas of balance and fairness, and a weird mix of
| individualism and populism). The question I think it raises is whether, as a
| politics it has a content. Free Software as it exists has an insanely refined
| focus on form over political content (and this is the source of the suspicion
| about the dominance of the technical). But the question is: is this focus on
| form itself a particular kind of political content? At some level yes, but it
| is one that is open to, and maybe even encourages people to challenge it. It
| is a way of saying: if this is a (for instance) “libertarian” form, it is one
| that you are allowed to change–so make it less libertarian if you believe
| that will make it better. It says nothing, however, about whether people will
| have the power to do that, which is its weakest feature, its inability to
| incorporate the concrete fact that history has led us to this point.”
`----

http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/how-world-changing-are-the-culture-and-politics-of-free-software/2008/08/23

Free Software movement fights to keep internet freedom in Brazil

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://news.northxsouth.com/2008/08/18/free-software-movement-fights-to-keep-internet-freedom-in-brazil/