[News] [Rival] Microsoft Escapes Payment of Money it Earned with Crime

EDITORIAL: Schools must cash tech check: Unspent Microsoft settlement money is
like an unclaimed lottery ticket.

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a windfall for California public schools: a $250 million grant from
| Microsoft for new computers, software and training, part of a $1.1-billion
| class-action lawsuit settlement against the company.
|
| [...]
|
| But two years later, nearly 80 percent of the money is still in the vault,
| unclaimed by California schools. Only a few Kern County school districts have
| started cashing in.
|
| The Panama-Buena Vista Union School District has had more than $519,000 of
| the pool set aside in its name, but, according to the settlement
| administrator's Web site, the money is still sitting there.
|
| Ditto for some of Kern County's smaller districts: Mojave Unified ($147,837),
| Buttonwillow ($19,305) and General Shafter ($15,240) haven't dipped into
| their share of the settlement money.
|
| It's important that they take advantage of the settlement, and not just for
| the most obvious reasons. The state's schools will eventually receive an even
| larger payout once a final part of the lawsuit is settled, but state
| attorneys might not be as motivated to pursue it while the original pot
remains so full.
`----

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/-editorial-schools-must-cash-tech-check-unspent-microsoft-/2008/11/18/3796250.htm

Microsoft's crimes against consumers continue to this date (example below).

Last week:

E-mails Show 'Vista Capable' Changes Aided Intel

,----[ Quote ]
| Pressured by Intel Corp., Microsoft Corp. relaxed the rules for a crucial
| Windows Vista marketing program -- a move that let the chip maker sell older
| graphics chip sets that were incapable of meeting the original requirements,
| internal e-mails show.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/153919/vista_aided_intel.html?tk=rss_news

Microsoft nobbled ‘Vista-Capable’ for Intel

,----[ Quote ]
| High-ranking Microsoft and Intel executives were involved in a plan to
| re-write the Windows Vista Capable program to save both companies - and
| OEMs - millions of dollars, according to unsealed court documents.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/14/intel_microsoft_vista_capable/

Top execs cast blame in Vista Capable 'mess'

,----[ Quote ]
| After Microsoft loosened the requirements, senior vice president of HP's
| consumer PC unit, Richard Walker fired off an e-mail to Microsoft Chief
| Operating Officer Kevin Johnson and Jim Allchin, the co-president of
| Microsoft's platforms and services division.
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/154454.asp?source=rss

Irate e-mails reveal HP, Microsoft strife

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.techflash.com/microsoft/HP_Microsoft_e-mails_reveal_more_Vista_fallout34518079.html