[News] Linux Development Reaches Symbolic Milestones

More Milestones in Linux Kernel Development History

,----[ Quote ]
| The fact that the Linux kernel now has an estimated development value of $1.4
| billion is an intriguing development—it certainly represents a significant
| milestone for the Linux kernel community. After we published the "Estimating
| the Total Development Cost of a Linux Distribution" whitepaper, out of
| curiosity I wondered where in the overall development history of the Linux
| kernel the $1 billion number was actually reached. There was also the desire
| to trace the history of Linux and monitor its growth. Here's what I came up
| with.
`----

http://ldn.linuxfoundation.org/blog-entry/more-milestones-linux-kernel-development-history

Recent:

Linux is a platform, not an OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, a staunch opponent of Linux, already understands this very
| vividly.   They no longer see Windows as just an "operating system", but as
| an entire platform.  They realize that the only way Windows has a prayer of
| surviving, especially in today's open source world, is if everything runs on
| Windows, including every FOSS program out there.  They've even admitted that
| as much themselves, saying that they think that all open source should run on
| Windows.
|
| And Apple is no different, nor Sun, nor IBM.  They see their respective
| operating systems as platforms, not OS's.  Sure, IBM supports Linux, but they
| also support IBM Unix, and in both cases they see their respective operating
| systems as platforms onto which they place lots of other software.  So
| ultimately one of the biggest failings of Linux marketing is that people are
| working too hard to sell the operating system side of it, but failing to sell
| the platform aspects of it.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=448

Kernel Developers, Wall Street to Come Together

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Foundation is holding its first End User Summit beginning Monday in
| New York, in an effort to bring Linux kernel developers in closer contact
| with users at Wall Street institutions and other major companies.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/152170/kernel_developers_wall_street_to_come_together.html

The Linux Plumbers Conference: a summary

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/299763/