[News] Qualcomm PC Runs GNU/Linux, Not Windows

Qualcomm’s Kayak “PC alternative” pictured

,----[ Quote ]
| The chipset uses an ARM application processor so it can’t run Windows
| applications, but like Linux-based netbooks, Kayak devices could run existing
| productivity suites and support some Office file formats. “Long-term we would
| welcome the opportunity to port any of the Windows applications and we’ve had
| numerous discussions with Microsoft on this, but we don’t have anything to
| announce at this point,” CEO Dr. Paul Jacobs said at the meeting today. He
| added that Qualcomm has worked with Adobe to support Flash applications on
| Brew, which should make it easier to quickly develop applications.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/computers/?p=262

Recent:

Qualcomm debuts 3G Linux mini-notebook

,----[ Quote ]
| All these are still on the drawing board, but "similar products could be out
| by the end of this year," said Luis Pineda, senior vice president at
| Qualcomm. The company hopes to make a big bang with Snapdragon-based devices
| at next year's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
`----

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9958179-1.html

Qualcomm: Interview with a cellular vampire

,----[ Quote ]
| CEO Paul Jacobs, in his opening address to the collected mass ranks of US and
| European analysts, turned this image on its head – expressing his “palpable
| relief” that the Nokia patents dispute had been resolved – and on terms that
| will not wreck the greater part of Qualcomm’s profits – those through royalty
| payments, and talked about having been smashed around for the past three
| years, and that now that it was over, the settlement driving huge positive
| momentum for his company.
|
| [...]
|
| Jacobs added: “We are not quite so worried about that action since we have
| workarounds for the Broadcom patents which are already in chips, and that
| give us negotiating leverage. We have worked through multiple decision trees
| on the outcomes of that legal action and although we’d like to see it
| resolved, whichever way its goes it will not have as great an effect as the
| Nokia action.”
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/18/qualcomm_vampire/

Related:

Praying That Eudora Has an Afterlife

,----[ Quote ]
| Hope is not lost, as Qualcomm released the software to open-source
| volunteers to use and improve. Eudora might again thrive by sharing
| code and features with Thunderbird, an E-mail program being
| developed at the open-source Mozilla project.
`----

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech/davesdownload/archive/070220/praying_that_eudora_has_an_aft.htm
http://tinyurl.com/27np2d

Eudora e-mail client to go open source