Re: [News] Microsoft Goes Litigious on Software Patents

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

SCO vs. Linux – mixed reactions to Novell Unix copyright
verdict

,----[ Quote ]
From hackers to financial analysts, the question of what
happens next is occupying the minds of many in the IT
industry – not all of them as well-informed as Pamela Jones,
the good fairy behind Groklaw, a website which follows such
cases. She has told Infoworld that Microsoft will be the
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
next SCO Group; the company has been loudly rattling its
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
patent sabres, claiming earlier this year that Linux
violated mote than 235 Microsoft patents. Whether Microsoft
goes beyond mere sabre rattling and whether SCO manages anything more than a last gasp is also a question of how you
evaluate the course of court proceedings so far.
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/features/SCO-vs-Linux-mixed-reactions-to-Novell-Unix-copyright-verdict--/110819

I thought these statements to be of interest:

[quote]
The German Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung writes that the judgement represents a victory for Linux in the copyright dispute, "The judgement removes the sword of Damocles hanging over the Linux community." It opines that the software industry can now breath a sigh of relief and offer Linux without let or hindrance. Businesses and government agencies in turn need no longer fear prosecution if they use Linux. The American Forbes goes one step further and predicts a Linux boom.
[/quote]

We already see Linux being deployed on low cost netbooks, they are a value added item, not to mention also of all sorts of portable devices. Through these, people are learning about Linux and its capabilities.

Linux is already a free download, which allows people to evaluate freely without restrictions or fear of violating copyrights.

I look with excitement to the ARM RISC based netbooks, with are currently Microsoft incompatible but Linux ready.

Mei Linux bloeit!

--
HPT
Quando omni flunkus moritati