[News] Review of GNU/Linux Flickr Uploaders, Image Editors

Flickr Uploaders for Linux: Secretive, But Not Endangered Beasts

,----[ Quote ]
| Flickr is almost like Xerox, or Kleenex, in that its name is in some ways
| inextricably linked to the service it delivers. There are many other photo
| sharing sites, of course, with similar (or perhaps even superior) features
| and options. Maybe it's because it is one of the first services that's
| managed to grow, add features, and consistently stand out from the others, it
| is often the first service people try, and the one many ultimately choose to
| continue with.
`----

http://ostatic.com/177015-blog/flickr-uploaders-for-linux-secretive-but-not-endangered-beasts

Windows App Alternatives For Linux: MSPaint

,----[ Quote ]
| Some of you might know that I was in the hunt for a decent mspaint
| alternative recently. Note that I didn’t go for GIMP / Inkscape etc because
| they were overkill for what I wanted to do. Many a times, I just wanted to
| touch up a screenshot or make a simple flow image by drawing a few boxes, use
| a few pointing arrows, and add some text here and there. All this could be
| done with the previous mentioned programs as well but took a bit more steps
| than I wanted (stroking the selections / paths for lines, boxes, circles, and
| even then, no arrows). I didn’t find an adequate replacement at the time but
| got it now, so thought of writing about it. Basically I came across 4 apps:
| tuxpaint, gpaint, kolourpaint and mtpaint. Won’t discuss tuxpaint here cuz I
| found it a little too kiddish.
`----

http://tech.shantanugoel.com/2008/04/28/windows-app-alternatives-for-linux-mspaint.html

Recent:

Google adds Android app for Flickr photos

,----[ Quote ]
| Google released on Thursday a new sample application called Photostream that
| will let phones running its Android phone operating system view photos stored
| at Yahoo's Flickr photo-sharing site.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13580_3-10033044-39.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Flickr taps into open source for better maps. Yahoo Maps to follow?

,----[ Quote ]
| Flickr is now utilizing maps from the wiki-based Open Street Map project to
| improve the detail level on cities where Yahoo's maps fall short.
|
| [...]
|
| The Open Street Map was launched in 2004 as an open project, allowing anyone
| with proper GPS data or local knowledge of a city to contribute to the map of
| the world.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10016247-2.html

FlickrFS for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Flickrfs is a virtual filesystem which mounts on your linux machine like any
| other partition. Once mounted, it retrieves information about your photos
| hosted on your flickr account, and shows them as files. You can now easily
| copy photos from your local machine to this mount, and it will automatically
| upload them to your flickr account. Similary, you can copy the files from
| your mount to your local machine, and it will download your images from
| flickr.
`----

http://blog.linuxoss.com/2008/05/12/flickrfs-for-linux/

Flickr Introduces Code.Flickr, Delivers APIs and Source Code

,----[ Quote ]
| The announcement is part of an effort from Flickr in which it has been
| opening up over 10,000 lines of open source code in its public subversion
| repository, issued over 2,000 new API keys, and more.
`----

http://ostatic.com/158974-blog/flickr-introduces-code-flickr-delivers-apis-and-source-code

Flickr upload tool turns 3.0, goes open-source

,----[ Quote ]
| Open-source software may be freely modified, copied, and shared; opening
| source code could let programmers modify the Uploadr tool so it works on
| Linux or uploads to other photo-sharing sites, for example.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9833549-39.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

The Linux way to Flickr

,----[ Quote ]
| Flickr contains more than 15,000 pictures tagged with "Linux." Flickr
| can help introduce Free Software to non-geeks in a fun andn
| on-intimidating way ("See Mom? We're just like everybody else!").
| Many Flickr users have already done just that, showing off their
| FOSS-related talents in many fields.
`----

http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/11/28/1628237&from=rss

One of the coolest Flickr applications to date

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://lifestyle.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=12867