[News] Legal Activist Fights Abuse from Microsoft, Freedom Walk Ends

Portrait: FOSS legal leader Andrew Updegrove

,----[ Quote ]
| Attorney Andrew Updegrove specializes in technology, intellectual property,
| and standards. While other lawyers can make the same claim, few have his
| credentials -- maintainer of an online repository about standards consortia,
| former board member of the Linux Foundation, and progenitor of a major open
| source license.
|
| [...]
|
| In fact, he takes it a step further. Updegrove says that the Internet has
| become so important that without accessibility, we may lose our basic human
| rights. "After all, do you exercise freedom of speech and freedom of
| association more online or face-to-face today? Do you go to the town hall, or
| go to its Web site? Open standards and open source [are] essential tools that
| can guarantee cheap, accessible exercise of our civil rights."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/151865

Freedom Walk - Final day at Trivandrum

,----[ Quote ]
| It was an idea six months ago. That idea was conceptualised and later, was
| named Freedom Walk-A walk to claim,ensure and preserve freedom. Started off
| from Kasargode on Oct 2, our team of volunteers criss-crossed through the
| length and breadth of Kerala touching all the 14 districts, and spreading the
| message of freedom among the people. Hearty congratulations to Anoop John,
| Cherry G Mathew, Sooraj K and Prasad S.R for the kind of determination and
| perseverance they have shown for a social cause.
`----

http://www.freedomwalk.in/content/115/freedom-walk-final-day-at-trivandrum

Recent:

ODF vs. OOXML: War of the Words Chapter 2

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft came late in the game to the server marketplace, but unlike some
| markets it tried to penetrate with limited success, the competitive landscape
| for servers was very different.  This was because most Microsoft's PC
| customers also used servers, and these customers could gain technical
| advantages by buying products from the same vendor that would need to work
| together.  They could also expect favorable bundled pricing as well, and that
| pricing could be very attractive indeed as Microsoft first entered the market
| for server operating system software.  In addition, the dominant operating
| system in the server marketplace, called UNIX, was already losing ground to
| new competing products.
|
| Still, fourteen years after introducing its first version of Windows usable
| on servers, Microsoft has today not a 90% market share, but a rising [42%]
| position, sharing the server niche with declining sales of UNIX systems,
| which continue to be offered in various proprietary flavors by vendors such
| as IBM, Sun Microsystems and Hewlett-Packard, and also with an "open source"
| operating system called Linux, which is dominant in applications such as Web
| hosting, and enjoys a roughly equal market share with Microsoft overall.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20071202140709603

Related:

Expired page