[News] The Patent Pirates from Philips Attack Free Software

RESEND(Wrong Thread): IMAGE/MP3 licensing issue.

,----[ Quote ]
| The short story is that we are in a protracted battle with some patent
| trolls. Google for Sisvel.
| In order to get ourselves in a stronger position, we want to make sure
| no copies/instances/whatever of patent-infested technologies like MP2
| and MP3 exist on our servers.
`----

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.handhelds.openmoko.community/30348

Openmoko se topa con las patentes

http://softlibre.barrapunto.com/softlibre/08/11/12/1853200.shtml

Recent:

Free from Philips, iRex launches A4 e-book reader

,----[ Quote ]
| Philips spin-off iRex, maker of the Iliad electronic book, has gone up a size
| to produce an A4 version of its e-book reader, this one aimed at the
| document-reading business type, rather than the classic-consuming bookworm.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09/22/new_electronic_book/

Philips could be in the firing line after Sisvel's Berlin patent raids

,----[ Quote ]
| Electronics giant Philips is being threatened with legal action following
| raids at a major German trade fair sparked by Sisvel, the Italian licensing
| company. Sisvel. which administers patents related to MP3 technology on
| behalf of a number of companies including Philips, asked German customs
| authorities to take action against a group of exhibitors at the fair,
| claiming that products they had on show were infringing.
`----

http://www.iam-magazine.com/blog/Detail.aspx?g=5523983a-dfa1-4300-9387-817edba3e325

Taiwanese firm to sue over armed raid at IFA

,----[ Quote ]
| A Taiwanese firm is taking legal action over damage to its reputation after
| an Italian patent troll representing Philips prompted the raid of a Berlin
| consumer electronics show last month.
|
| Teco was among 69 companies targeted by some 200 armed German custom officers
| during the IFA trade fair in Berlin. The raid was done at the request of
| Sisvel, which administers MP3 and DVD technology patents on behalf of
| Philips. Sisvel had complained that exhibitors at IFA may be infringing on
| patents owned by its client.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/09/08/teco_sues_over_ifa_raid/

iRex iLiad e-Reader: Linux's Answer to the Kindle?

,----[ Quote ]
| David Chisnall jumped on the E Ink bandwagon with a Linux-based iRex iLiad.
| After spending a while using the device, he has some interesting perspectives
| to share.
|
| A few weeks ago, I bought a new toy. A lot of my work involves reading—mainly
| research papers—and I justified the purchase to myself by saying it was to
| make this task easier. The new toy was an iRex iLiad, one of a new category
| of device that emerged when E Ink hit the commercial market.
`----

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1238478

Related:

Berlin Court condemns Sisvel's IFA seizures as "illegal"

,----[ Quote ]
| Today Sisvel, Europe's very own "patent troll", was given a serious blow by a
| Berlin Court. Sisvel convinced German public prosecutors to provide some
| helping hands in pressing companies in the mp3 audio field to take licenses
| under patents, owned by Philips and other companies.
`----

http://ipgeek.blogspot.com/2006/09/berlin-court-judges-sisvels-ifa.html

German Customs cracks down at IFA

,----[ Quote ]
| German Customs officials have raided several stands at this years IFA trade
| show in Berlin, including Emtec's, MSI's, and Xoro's. The officials are
| acting on behalf of Sisvel, which has a stand in Hall 2.2 at this year's IFA.
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/news/German-Customs-cracks-down-at-IFA--/111434

OpenMoko CEO: Embrace fragmentation, diversity is a strength

,----[ Quote ]
| During his presentation, Moss-Pultz looked back at the successes and
| challenges encountered by the OpenMoko community in the past year and talked
| about how the project's adaptability and commitment to freedom have
| contributed to its current status.
|
| Although the OpenMoko concept was initially met with enormous skepticism, it
| has achieved success and is now generating profit. The company's first
| handset, the Neo1973, was manufactured in limited quantity and sold out
| completely within the first three days after it launched. Demand for the
| product was unexpectedly high, and Moss-Pultz humorously remarked that it
| probably would have sold out faster if the servers had been able to better
| withstand the massive traffic.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080918-openmoko-ceo-embrace-fragmentation-diversity-is-a-strength.html

Open source phone goes to college

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenLab will encourage students to develop their own projects based on
| Openmoko software and hardware, says Openmoko. Working with National Tsing
| Hua University, Openmoko has developed a curriculum for OpenLab that is being
| released under a creative commons share-alike license.
|
| [...]
|
| Stated Jyuo-Min-Shyu, Dean, Tsing Hua College of Electronic Engineering and
| Computer Sciences, "The lab is great, and we have Neo FreeRunner phones right
| at our students' fingertips."
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8959938447.html?kc=rss

Open Linux phone gets datacasts

,----[ Quote ]
| The Communications Research Center Canada (CRC) has created a prototype
| handset that can receive datacasting signals. Its Linux-based "Openmokast"
| phone is built atop OpenMoko's open-source Neo FreeRunner phone platform, and
| along with typical smartphone functions, supports reception of live digital
| radio, video, and data broadcasts.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6565189083.html?kc=rss

I'm super excited to begin work on this project [porting DeviceScape to the
OpenMoko]

,----[ Quote ]
| To the best of my knowledge this is the first (or one of the first) non-FIC
| commercial applications being ported/developed for the OpenMoko/FreeRunner
| stack.
`----

http://blog.holdenkarau.com/2008/08/im-super-excited-to-begin-work-on-this.html

First Openmoko Custom Phone Now Available and Wears a Debian Plaid Kilt

,----[ Quote ]
| The Openmoko Neo Freerunner phone was released only a few weeks ago, and
| already, a customized version called the W.E. Phone is now available for
| purchase. So what's the difference between the naked-as-a-baby Neo and the
| Canadian-based W.E.? The latter comes with a full bundle of custom Google
| applications, on top of the core GNU/Linux OS base with dialing, SMS and
| contacts.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/07/first-openmoko.html

OpenMoko Neo Freerunner - Part 1