[News] Great Impressions of Ubuntu and Its Derivative, Mint

Ubuntu Experiences

,----[ Quote ]
| After using Ubuntu for around two years, the only thing which comes to my
| mind is that it rocks.
`----

http://manishtech.wordpress.com/2008/11/11/ubuntu-experiences/

[Geek Review] Linux Mint: A better Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux Mint, while relatively new, has gained a lot of fans from the linux
| community, and is now the third most popular on DistroWatch, slowly crunching
| on openSUSE lead. It brings something a lot of distro have tried: simplicity,
| functionality, and of course looks. Let’s see what makes Linux Mint fresh and
| if it’s worth switching from Ubuntu.
|
| [...]
|
| A lot of people may argue that the changes in Linux Mint are not that
| innovative or new. Some people will argue that you could spend a couple of
| hours and mod the Gnome panel to resemble Mints’. You can install all the
| Mint apps for Ubuntu. You can install ubuntu-restricted-extras  by yourself.
|
| http://tuxgeek.me/2008/11/geek-review-linux-mint-a-better-ubuntu/
|

| Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) on Compaq Evo N610c
|
| Ubuntu 8.10 includes the latest 2.6.27-7-generic kernel and the rev 1300 of
| orinoco drivers for Compaq Wireless LAN MultiPort W200 doe not build
| correctly. I had to play around quite a bit to get W200 to work and a special
| patch is required. To help other users I have updated
| WifiDocs/Device/CompaqW200 - Community Ubuntu Documentation. A patched
| version of the driver is available here for your convenience.
|
| [...]
|
| Overall Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex runs much better on Compaq Evo N610c as
| compared to Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron. If you enjoy Ubuntu and own a Evo N610c
| give Intrepid Ibex a try.
`----

http://www.lucidtips.com/2008/11/10/ubuntu-810-intrepid-ibex-on-compaq-evo-n610c/

Recent:

25 reasons to use Linux Mint

,----[ Quote ]
| At least, people understand what it means, Mint. With Ubuntu... (Ubuntu is
| also an award granted to Fidel Castro this year!)
|
| It's not brown. No, really, it's not brown! Brown was interesting in October
| 2004, but four years later and still brownish...
|
| It features the most elegant, business-like desktop of all the Linux
| distributions, right out of the box. Most people would not bother to get rid
| of the default look (theme, icons, wallpaper, GDM splash, boot splash,
| whatever). Just look at home many Windows XP boxes are displaying the
| horrendous blue window decorations, with red close buttons and the green
| Start button, although changing to the more business-like Windows 2000 look
| is a simple task.
|
| Multimedia codecs, browser plugins, DVD playback, and so on, out of the box.
| I mean, out of the box. No fuss.
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2008/10/17/08/45/40-25-reasons-to-use-linux-mint

Review: Linux Mint 5 - KDE Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, I liked Mint 5 KDE, especially with the added speed and upgraded
| default non-compiz eyecandy.  It's good and stable, and works well with
| everything I could throw at it from a new and normal user's collective
| standpoints.  And it's easily shown again why Linux Mint has become my new
| number one favorite Linux distribution for new users, overtaking PcLinuxOS
| with a blast of gusto for the top spot on my list.  It's most certainly worth
| checking out.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=466

Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna KDE Community Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| You see I've always looked upon Mint with confusion; as a derivative of
| Ubuntu I never quite understood why it existed. Sure there was a time where
| preloading codecs and software was a desirable thing but now days everyone
| has tackled that problem in different ways - thus making "out of the box"
| releases like Mint a little redundant. There are some really interesting
| things about Mint that deviate from that stereotype massively.
`----

http://www.distro-review.com/review-linux-mint-4-0-daryna-kde-community-edition

Release Notes for Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna KDE Community Edition, by Jamie Boo
Birse

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://linuxmint.com/rel_daryna_kde.php