Re: The big Windows 7 lie

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

>This guy's comment is interesting:
>
>   M$ cannot spend $1billion for OS development to sell it for pennies. They
>   got away with it on XP as the R&D has long since been paid for. So
>   selling it for pennies for the NetBooks made sense. But they won't be
>   able to with Vista/W7 over the long haul. Nor when the box is only $400
>   does it make sense to be paying $200-300 for the OS. That will tend to
>   raise eyebrows.
>
>   The pricepoint is against M$ and they know it.

Well, OEM-installed OS is not going to be that expensive.  However it
also is not nothing, and that probably what XP will cost the OEM's,
eventually.  I think M$ will give it away, if they have to, to counter
inroads that Linux is making on the low end.  How long that will be
tolerated, by the market (wanting something better) or by M$ itself
(wanting to make more money), I don't know.